Split Vanity - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 27
Question

Split vanity

Hello, I have a 72" dual sink master bath vanity that is about 28 years old and I'd like to replace it. It's at the kiddie height, whatever that is (I'm at work)

To save money, I'm considering buying two 30" cabinets and leaving 12" in between for a trash bin. Then getting a one-piece top to lay across both and connect them. My slight concern is the plumbing because of the height differential (and possibly the horizontal offset depending on the position of the sinks on the new counter top).

Your thoughts? Anything I should be concerned with or look out for? Better, anyone ever do this?

Advertisement

AngeloUCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Split vanity

I think the 12" space will always look like the result of a cabinet mistake, I would butt two 36" units, and find another spot for the trash can. The plumbing should be no problem, it should just require longer tailpieces on the vanity drains, and the horizontal offsets are no problem either, unless the units have drawer banks to consider.

Advertisement

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Split vanity

see if you can get a 12" tilt out or slide trash bin with matching cabinet face as your spacer
Old 04-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Split vanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
see if you can get a 12" tilt out or slide trash bin with matching cabinet face as your spacer
That negates his theory of saving money with the 30" cabs vs the 36" cabs, because the 12" cabinet will cost more than the price difference of the other two. I have never seen a manufactuer offer a 12" trash unit, it is too small to be functional. If he has to have the trash can at the vanity area, I would still go with the 36" cabs and see if the plumber can work the pipes to assure enough room to add an aftermarket trash can pull out in one of the bases.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 27

Split vanity

Thanks guys, I may end up going with the one piece 72, it's just amazing the price difference is ridiculous considering I can get 2 36" for around 4-500.
AngeloUCF is offline   Reply With Quote