Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Coconut Pete's paella!

Share |

Space needed for shower? Corner shower?

My 1/2 bath is pretty big, and it's old .. not good old either. It's next on our list. We would really like to add a shower when we redo this room.

From the wall to the edge of the door trim is 28" now, but for some reason the door is at an odd placement when you compare it to the other door on that wall, so if I move the door to match the other door I will have 34" from wall to the edge of the door trim.

It seems that would be enough space for a shower since some come as small as 32". Has anyone put in a 32" shower?

The other question is whether to do a corner style shower or just do a straight wall, are there any reasons to pick one over the other?
Attached Thumbnails
Space needed for shower?  Corner shower?-halfbath.jpg   Space needed for shower?  Corner shower?-halfbath2.jpg  

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #2

I could think of lots of reasons, but it's all personal preference.

Small showers take less space.
Small showers are less to clean.
Small showers can have cool round sliders.
Small showers will cost a little less.
Large showers fit two ppl.
Large space could fit a combo bath / shower.
Large showers can have sliding doors.
Large showers you can sit down in more comfortably.
Large or more deluxe might convert to a little better resale.

I don't personally care for skinny showers, to me they feel like being in a capsule.

How wide is that room? Could you fit maybe a 4' shower and 2' closet? There are plenty of 34 x 48 enclosures or bases, depending on the style your'e going for.

On corner vs straight... (again, personal preference) but I prefer straight. They look more built-in, whereas corner ones can look like an appliance set in the corner. Your room layout seems like it would suit straight.

Last edited by SquishyBall; 03-21-2013 at 02:55 PM.
SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
I will have 34" from wall to the edge of the door trim.
Move the door. Make room for a bigger corner shower there.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
JOATMON

I've been in a 32" shower....doable....but...not a whole lot of room....

Since your adding a shower....for the most part, you have a clean slate because you're going to be doing some major surgery on that room....

Step back....can you move the door? Does the sink have to stay there?

Moving the toilet is not a desirable option....but the sink and door?

What if the door moved moved up away from the toilet....the shower moved next to the toilet...now you have more room for the shower...and the sink is over near the door....and...the person having a seat has more room to the door...nothing worse than a door that opens right in front of a toilet.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #5

I doubt that what suggestions I’ll give you are suited for what you have in mind, but you can take them into consideration if you want your end result to be awesome. I followed some advices myself, the ones that were suited for my project. Hope this helps you in your project
http://www.kitchencabinetkings.com/b...shower-design/
sydprosere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #6

I am not a fan of corner showers. We once had one, and it was nearly impossible to reach in and adjust the water without getting sprayed.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
Coconut Pete's paella!

If I move the door any more than the 6" away from where the shower is going to be it's going to look "off" from the outside of that wall due to the other door on that wall.

The room is close to 6' wide, I can't remember the exact measurement, but I will add it later tonight. I want to make sure I get the terms right here. If you walk through the door and turn left then the "width" of the shower is not going to be a problem, only the "depth" of 34" is worrying me. The shower could be 34" deep and 40 or 48" wide no problem.

It seems corner showers are generally bigger, so given that the room is smaller, It seems the "cube" is the better idea.

Does 34" deep by 40 or 48" wide seem like a decent size? I just laid it out with blue painters tape on the floor and it seems OK. I'm not tiny, but I"m not a giant either, 6' and 190lbs. My wife is tiny so I'd be the primary concern here.

We like the idea of this layout because it would allow floor-to-ceiling shelves to be added in whatever space I don't use between the shower and the outside wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Space needed for shower?  Corner shower?-halfbath1.1.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Stuck in the 70's

Our shower is about that size (36" x 48") and I find it a very comfortable size.
Your last drawing is definitely the way I would go.
The last consideration is would you want to reverse the shower and shelves. That way the shelves would be behind the door. But that would mean plumbing would be in an exterior wall. Maybe not.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
"You can do anything"-Mom

Most pre fab shower pans I've looked at are 32" wide so I think 34" would be plenty. I like your layout. I'd throw out a suggestion and I'm not sure how it would work with your window but what if you flipped the shower and the shelves? At least then your shelves would be covered by the door when its open.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
"You can do anything"-Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Our shower is about that size (36" x 48") and I find it a very comfortable size.
Your last drawing is definitely the way I would go.
The last consideration is would you want to reverse the shower and shelves. That way the shelves would be behind the door. But that would mean plumbing would be in an exterior wall. Maybe not.
Ha ha. I guess you type a little quicker than I do. Good thought tho.

Plumbing could still be in the wall between shelves and shower. And you could easily have an access panel for your shutoffs.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockmiera View Post
Plumbing could still be in the wall between shelves and shower. And you could easily have an access panel for your shutoffs.
Aha. Hadn't thought of that.

Actually I just measured mine. It is 32" from the tile to the outside of the pre-fab curb. Plenty of room.
And FWIW, if you do put it in the corner with the window you could possibly go a bit wider if the window allows.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
Coconut Pete's paella!

The window will not allow for the shower to be put in that corner unfortunately. My drawing makes it look like there is room but that's because it's not 100% to scale. I think there's around 28" there, not enough. It would also get really close to the hot air register - not sure if that matters or not.

The door should be easier to move - it's not a bearing wall and it will give me the 34".

I am leaning toward a prefab base with tiled walls since it would take a lot of labor out of it and we are not going "super fancy" on this one.

I actually really like the idea of the plumbing being in the wall between the shower and the shelves - i I hadn't thought of that!

So with this layout you would turn sharply left after closing the door and walk into the shower that way. I never see "depth" on anything like a shower base, so how do the terms work here? "width" is not the actual width but the depth?

Last edited by CoconutPete; 03-22-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
JOATMON

Pete....how much space between the door and the wall the sink is on? The reason I ask....I personally hate sitting on a toilet that is out in the open.....if you were to put the shower on that side, the toilet would be behind the shower....if you move the door over then you give yourself some more room for the shower....

Just thinking out loud....and can appreciate your issues....too bad you can't build the shower by the window....

What is the floor in that room? Crawl space?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 03-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
Coconut Pete's paella!

I am going to get some accurate measurements and update my drawing tonight. Lots of good ideas floating around here, too many not to have an accurate drawing.

There is a dirt crawlspace underneath this bathroom, it's an addition circa 1950 to my 1930 house so lots of cast iron and lead down there. I expect to be tearing out some pipe. The supply lines (with the exception of the toilet) appear to have been updated to copper at some point, but I will be verifying this when I open the wall.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
JOATMON

My toilet 'used' to be into iron....it's actually pretty easy to yank that out and mate ABS to it....

I ended up gutting my existing bathroom after the floor of our shower sort of fell....see the 'black' area in this photo? That is where the shower 'was'...

It was not as painful to yank out the floor joists as I thought it would be. Ended up replacing all of the cast iron under that area...