Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Some New Ideas on my bathroom!

Alright, well many of you know that I am dealing with a window in my shower. And Debating on tile.

I'm really against tiling my shower, pretty much because I don't know how to do it. But everybody can learn something with patience right?

I've been bouncing around the idea of removing the window and hiring somebody to reside the outside of the house. But I guess I could also hire somebody to tile the shower.

Here are some pro and cons of each.
1. Remove the window.
Pro: Can put an insert shower in the bathroom
Cons: Lose the Natural light, Have to pay somebody to replace the aluminum siding.

2. Leave the window/glass block
Pro: Don't have to mess with the outside of the house.
Cons: If I replace the window with glass block then I have to work on the siding still. Have to tile myself, or Hire Somebody to do it.

Writing this and getting my thoughts in one place helped me make up my mind a little bit.

If you guys were facing this problem, what would be your take on the problems, because I've never dealt with anything like this.

mikeylikesit580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Mind if I confuse things even more?

Since you are going to be messing with that wall and or window anyway, have you considered a transom window. Traditionally they are the small windows that go above a door, but occasionally I've seen pictures of them high in a shower. The advantages are A) They still allow natural light into the bathroom. B) They are high enough that showering isn't a public event, and C) Being much higher than a normal window you won't have the water penetration issues since the shower doesn't hit it directly.

Edited to add: Not necessarily stained-glass, but something like one of these:
http://www.laughingsunrenovations.co...mer/mbath2.jpg
http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/2010/...ransom-window/

Last edited by Blondesense; 06-30-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Mind if I confuse things even more?

Since you are going to be messing with that wall and or window anyway, have you considered a transom window. Traditionally they are the small windows that go above a door, but occasionally I've seen pictures of them high in a shower. The advantages are A) They still allow natural light into the bathroom. B) They are high enough that showering isn't a public event, and C) Being much higher than a normal window you won't have the water penetration issues since the shower doesn't hit it directly.

Edited to add: Not necessarily stained-glass, but something like one of these:
http://www.laughingsunrenovations.co...mer/mbath2.jpg
http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/2010/...ransom-window/
BloodSense, Those do look really nice, I might have to think about one of those. Also My Bathroom is upstairs and It would be really quite simple to install on of those solar tubes.... So now I'll have to think about that. Hmmmm. Transom windows do look very slick tho.
mikeylikesit580 is offline   Reply With Quote