Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #1

Share |

Solatube with Vent VS regular vent?

I was looking into Solar tubes to light up bathrooms (without windows) during the day, and thought it rather inconvenient to open up another opening in ceiling, attic, and roof for a solar tube when there's also a vent fan connection.

So I was searching for a combo solution and so far just came across one:

Solatube 160DS with ventilation add-on kit

http://www.ezroof.co.uk/acatalog/sol...throom_kit.pdf

But it seems the vent area of that compared to a traditional vent is much smaller, so I assume it needs a more powerful vent fan motor to draw the same amount of moisture out.

Was wondering if anyone has thoughts about this type of product, and or better yet experience with it, or where might one find reviews of this product? It doesn't seem to be widespread enough to find a lot of reviews or additional info for it.

Hope I'm posting to most appropriate DIY forum here, if not please suggest where best to move to.

Last edited by daluu; 01-02-2012 at 02:47 AM. Reason: clarification
daluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #2

The fan is an in-line, 110 cfm for a bathroom 8’L x 8’W x 9’H or equivalent, with a 4” duct exhaust. The only thing I see could be a possible problem is exhausting on the roof so close to the solar-tube that it would wet it and collect more air-borne dirt and dust to necessitate cleaning the dome more often. You could add ducting though…….OR exhaust the duct termination hood to a gable side-wall rather than another hole in the roof. I would use a short length of flex to raise the fan-end ducting higher than the gable-end hood for moisture run-out, with straight, smooth metal pipe where you could (less air turbulence). Insulate all ducts when going through attic. The vent area appears dished to exhaust more than it appears, though you could measure the area with the fan cover specs. http://www.efi.org/factoids/bathroom_sizing.html

Never used one similar, let's see what others have to say.

Gary

Old 06-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #3

Thanks for the feedback Gary.

I asked the question before for research. Now the existing bath exhaust fan (motor I think) died (single switch activates light & fan. Fan stopped working).

So revisiting options again. Looks like the Solatube solution per the instructions/diagram, would require making a separate hole to the roof for the fan venting. As the original ducting for the fan would then be used for the solatube based on the size of the duct (the diagram shows the separate fan duct is smaller than solatube duct). I haven't taken down the fan & measured the duct but it looks to be 6 or 8" from what I can see through the fan vent grille/cover.

I'm curious to know how you figured the specs for the fan for the solatube kit. The PDF I referenced didn't seem to state the CFM value.
daluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #4

I "Googled" 3.11cmm and it brought up: http://www.solatube.com/common/_tech...995_118514.pdf

Page 2, under "Specs"--- "airflow".

Gary
P.S. it's a 4", listed in both links as "in-line" fan or "duct size", just convert to U.S.