DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

So I'm Thinking about Doing Renovations on My Kitchen

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Jim F 
#1 ·
Hey Everybody,

So I'm currently weighing the decision between renovating my kitchen myself or having a kitchen renovator do it. I've found a local kitchen re-designer called Legacy Custom Kitchen Designs and their work seems really good so I'm not sure which way I should go. I have the money to pay for it but I kind of want to do the work myself (I enjoy doing work around the house). However, I want a really elegant kitchen when the works done (for my wife).

I know there are obvious reasons for renovating the kitchen myself but what are the pro's and con's? I've done other work on the house but doing a kitchen seems to have a lot more work to it then let's say renovating a bathroom.

Thanks!

Jim

#3 ·
why not sub out the work that you can't do in a timely fashion or don't feel you can do safely (or have the knowledge to do?) i.e. sub out electrical and plumbing and you do demo and rough carpentry yourself? if you get custom cabinets let them deal with the cabinet install. you will get a nice kitchen, quality work and the satisfaction of doing at least some of it yourself.

and for what its worth - a flashy website is not an indication of professionalism or quality of work. the guy that made my cabinets doesn't even have a website but the work is top-notch.

#4 ·
why not sub out the work that you can't do in a timely fashion or don't feel you can do safely (or have the knowledge to do?) i.e. sub out electrical and plumbing and you do demo and rough carpentry yourself? if you get custom cabinets let them deal with the cabinet install. you will get a nice kitchen, quality work and the satisfaction of doing at least some of it yourself.
This is similar to how I do projects - most recently a whole house remodel. I get skilled trades for the stuff I can't do well, guys younger and thinner than I am for the high and heavy work, etc. I do quite a bit, and there is quite a bit I don't do. But I get the quality I want, save a few bucks, and know how the jobs were done right where you can't see when finished.

Know your limitations - while continually expanding your limits.

#6 ·
it's definitely a great way to go!

the only issue (that i've found) is timing can be tricky if the contractor is locked into a set schedule for work. if you don't get something finished it sets everyone back. as an example - i had an old chimney (c. 1921) in my kitchen that was to be demolished. the brick upstairs came out in a matter of hours, the concrete base actually in the kitchen (that was assumed to be brick) took two days. a contractor that is familiar with rehabilitation and remodel projects will be a lot better to work with than someone who only does new construction.

#7 ·
I guess the key is knowing your limits. The fact that you enjoy doing the work yourself probably means you will have success. I got my bathroom almost completely gutted and decided it wiser to hire a professional for $900 to stengthen the rotting joists and level the sagging floor- they are coming tomorrow. I could have sistered joists myself but shimming and leveling the floor is something best left to someone with more skill. The rest, I think I can handle. My drywall work is not as good as that of a professional but I can live with it. I suppose if I wanted my walls to look elegant, I would delegate that to a pro as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.