Small Crack (2.5in) In Mirror By Light Fixture - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Small crack (2.5in) in mirror by light fixture

While installing the second of two floating light fixtures on a new bathroom mirror a small crack suddenly appeared. I thought i was being very careful and just barely finger tightening it as i had on the first one. It 's only 2 inches long but noticeable. Is there any way to fix it or am i looking at replacing.

Advertisement

dmannne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 546

There is no fixing it and there's a real danger it may just shatter. Get it out before someone get cut.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

If it runs to the end of the mirror, it has run. If the crack ends inside the mirror, it will run at some point. Pressure, vibration, and heat are a few things that can make it run. So basically the mirror will break at some point. If you're gonna remove the mirror, run the crack first. Or have a pro do it. When installing a light fixture on a mirror, you should shim the fixture out. It's best not to have it resting on the mirror.
sgjordan is offline   Reply With Quote