Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
wilderstyle

Share |

Sink cutting tips

O.k. We just installed a pre-fab laminate countertop. L shaped with a mitered cut. I have a couple questions before cutting the hole for the sink. I traced the outline of where the actual hole is.(now what?) The sink is the least expensive (no parts with) shallow metal kind from the big box store. It has a rim that will set on top of the counter and some barrier rail type things an inch or so inside the lip of the sink. Now, will my hole have to be smaller than the lip of the sink, but not past those rail things? Also, what type of bracket things do I buy to attatch it? AND do I silicone the mitered area to seal it somehow? I hope I gave enough info, to get some helpful tips here. I have read the e how to's, I am have cutout tremulation here. Thanks guys.

wilderstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Home Remodeler

Sink cutting tips

The rails of the sink are designed to hold the bolt and brackets to hold the sink down. They are special and I am not sure you can buy them, should have come with the sink. I think the last one I installed the sink hole was 3/8 or 5/16 smaller than the sink flange. That is on each side. Just move the cut in from your traced line. I would use silicone for the mitered cut and they have a bracket that will pull them together and hold them.

mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Sink cutting tips

First off if you purchased the sink and it was boxed, there should of been a paper template or a cardboard template for the cut out and second there should of been a bag with alum, brackets with a machine screw to secure the sink to the top. I would guess that the item you purchased was returned to the store with out those items,. This is the reason why I don't shop at those box stores.
Take the sink and turn it upside down on the counter top, move it to where it is going to be installed. make a pencil mark around the sink, remove the sink and measure from the outside of the rim to the mounting rail welded to the underside of the sink. take this measurement and deduct 1/8" and make a second mark from the one you just made this will be your cut mark. then check and see if you can reuse the old sink clips with your new one. or just go and get the missing bag from the box store. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:14 PM   #4

Sink cutting tips

home depot sells the clips for the sink.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
wilderstyle

Sink cutting tips

So, upon further developments. I noticed today that the existing hole is smaller than the sink! So, I have to cut into cabinet. Can I get some advice here, or do you guys need more details?.... The sink is 22x33. The current hole is 19 1/2 x31. The inner rim/lip 21x32 1/8. The whole set up is centered in front of a window. One side is the dishwasher and the other is the corner cabinet. Do I split the difference so it stays centered? Help please!
wilderstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:41 AM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Sink cutting tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderstyle View Post
So, upon further developments. I noticed today that the existing hole is smaller than the sink! So, I have to cut into cabinet. Can I get some advice here, or do you guys need more details?.... The sink is 22x33. The current hole is 19 1/2 x31. The inner rim/lip 21x32 1/8. The whole set up is centered in front of a window. One side is the dishwasher and the other is the corner cabinet. Do I split the difference so it stays centered? Help please!
Keep the center line the same. you will have to cut into the side panels of the cabinet. just enough for the sink to set on the countertop. maybe cut down 2-3" and the width of the sink. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #7

Sink cutting tips

In your first post you said you needed to cut a hole in the new counter top for the new sink, then in your last post you said there is an existing hole that is to small? Is this a mobile home by chance, the only reason i ask is i think there sinks are around 19x31. If you can explain a little more about this it would help.

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote