Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers

Share |

Sink base vs regular base cabinets...

The cabinets I wish to install in my kitchen do not come in a 30" Sink base cabinet. The only sink base size is 36", I have a 27" Sink base now. There is a dishwasher to the left, to the right there is a 15" drawer base. I can change the drawer base to a 12" to gain the 3" I'd need to bump up to a 30" sink base, but 36" is not going to happen. What's the difference between sink base and regular base? Is it ONLY the fact that the drawer front is affixed and non mechanical? If so, couldn't I just buy the base cabinet and take the drawer face off and affix it to the cabinet?

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #2

Sounds like you got it to me. I cant think of any other reasons other than structual but doubt theres really any difference. Id say go ahead it should be fine.

Cmudr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #3

J,
You got it. A sink base just comes with a dummy front instead of a drawer. The box itself is the same. Just take the drawer out along with the hardware. If you look around, you should be able to find the hardware used to fasten the dummy front on. Two nylon rollers and steel U-shaped spring clips. Makes it real easy.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
They're all fixer-uppers

Thanks guys! Actually, my best option is one of those tip-out sponge drawer kits... I have always hated that my wife leaves her yellow gloves and sponges on the sink... perfect!
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote