Shower Window - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Windows on Wash
  • 1 Post By Marky82

Old 02-14-2017, 02:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Shower window

1965, Tri-level build. Upstairs bathroom is one of the few rooms I've not done anything with and it's time. It's a straight shotgun layout. The room is about 5 foot wide by 12 foot deep. The tub sits against the far wall, is as wide as the room, and it has a window on that wall. You probably know the deal, cast iron tub that they later put the plumbing in for a shower. Was never hooked up though. When we bought the house I hooked up the plumbing for the shower. We simply made a solid curtain for the window out of shower curtains. This works OK but as I'm looking to remodel I'm looking for ideas for the window. Don't really want to get rid of due to the ambient light it provides and don't want to add exterior work either. Will be putting in a new tub/shower combo. So?

Advertisement

kevsumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,250

Re: Shower window

How about a picture?

A window in a shower isn't a vastly terrible idea if they are up high enough and done properly.
joecaption likes this.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 13,994

Never once seen where a window in a shower was a good idea.
Solar tube, transom window, glass block anything but a real window.
What's the first thing people do to a window in a shower?
Cover it up, so why have it?

Old 02-15-2017, 07:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 790

I replaced similar situ window with vinyl, tiled the frame around it, then put a spring rod with a small plastic curtain. But that shower wasn't used much. I would replace as much wood as possible, caulk the edges between the frame and glass then oil prime/paint. Then put a curtain over it.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

As you can see it is clearly at normal window height and is a normal sized window. When making suggestions keep in mind tub, walls, and window will be removed and I should be looking at a rough opening.

Sorry, can't post a pic from my PC, apparently you have to post a link to some photo hosting site.
kevsumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 194

My bathroom is similar and still original from when the house was built in 1953. When I remodel I plan to remove the full size window in the bathtub/shower and replace with a frosted thin, horizontal window. I want the window because it's south facing and lets in great natural light. I don't need it for ventilation so I'll order one that doesn't open/close. It will be up high and frosted so privacy won't be an issue.

I'd love to do what's in the picture below but I bet it would be a a lot of work. The window is extra wide and fills almost the entire span of the wall. I'll have to see what's involved with widening my current framing to accommodate a window like that. If it's really expensive I'll stick with the width I have now.

Windows on Wash likes this.
Marky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 80

Literally just finished my tub-to-shower project. Original tub area had a plain glass picture window. We felt the same; didn't want to lose the ambient light. We filled it in with glass block and put a transom window at the top so we could have some extra ventilation. I used the plastic spacers and silicone caulk method, so no grouting. Fairly easy. You're window size will be whatever 8x8 glass block configuration that most closely matches your current window. Fill in the rest with boards.

You can review my whole journey on the thread "Starting my first tub-to-shower conversion!"
chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:02 PM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,250

Looks good.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote