Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

shower tile repair

Our hose was built in about 1970. It settled some after it was built and some of the base tiles in the shower cracked. I want to remove them all (because I can't match them) and replace them with something that will compliment the room.

How hard a job will this be? I figure I can get them out easy enough with a concrete chisel, and I've got a multi tool that does great on grout (this started out to just be a job to fix some cracked grout...)

Anyway, the tile isn't thinset. One on the threshold came out, and it was attached to brick with about 3/8 inch of mortar? I can cut the tiles with a diamond blade in the multi tool (only need to cut 4, probably). What concerns me is getting them all plumb with the wall and not spaced too far down. Trying to decide if I can DIY or if I need a pro. I've done grout before, but never set tiles in mortar.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,150

shower tile repair

Post is a little confusing to me, one place you say your removing them all, then just 4.
One place it's the wall, the next your working on a wall.
Got any pictures?
An ossilating saw is a great tool for removing grout, not so for removing the tile if it all has to go.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

shower tile repair

Just 4 need to be cut (one in each corner). The rest of the wall stays, because it's fine, it's just the base that needs to be replaced.

It just looks like a 1970's tile wall in shower.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote