Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #1

Share |

shower stall ceiling

I see a lot of shower stalls without tile on the ceiling. what do people use for that?

we're trying to create a tiled shower stall that is "continuous" to the main bath area without a drop ceiling. we were trying to figure out how to terminate the tile ceiling and couldn't think of something that looked good. so I did some looking around and found a lot of showers that have un-tiled ceilings.

thanks!

nickmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #2

shower stall ceiling

It's done all the time. Just use green board or paperless sheetrock and paint it.
From what I've seen in the last 30 plus years is far more homes to not have tile on the ceiling.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Bill Kearney

shower stall ceiling

Most of the time the edge of tiles sit proud of adjacent drywall. You commonly use bullnose tiles at this point. This gives an eased looking edge transition. It also lets you use the straight edges of the bullnose for appearance instead of trying to do it with the drywall. Sometimes it's more attractive to build down a small soffit and use a row of tile material along the face. This is how I did one of mine, but that was also because I had overhead rain shower fixtures and ran their water line under the main ceiling joists. Building out the ceiling gave me room for the lines and also gave me the face edge where the ceiling met the shower.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #4

shower stall ceiling

thanks for the replies. you don't have problems with condensation on the ceiling?
Old 08-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Newbie Bill

shower stall ceiling

Do you have an exhaust fan in the bathroom?

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

shower stall ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmick View Post
thanks for the replies. you don't have problems with condensation on the ceiling?
Nope, I've got a fantech in-line fan up in the attic with a lighted (12v) intake directly above the shower. That combined with a lutron timer switch makes moisture a complete non-issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
nickmick (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #7

shower stall ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
Do you have an exhaust fan in the bathroom?
yes, i'll be installing a boran 110cfm fan right outside the shower door (shower door doesn't go to ceiling)

56sqft bathroom incl shower stall.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
Newbie Bill

shower stall ceiling

You shouldn't have any condensation issues with the exhaust fan.

We have exhaust fans in our bathrooms with timers as well. I can tell when the wife doesn't turn the fan on until after her shower because there is a bit more moisture on the crown moldings, but I've never seen any on the ceiling.

The nice thing about the timer is we hit the 30 minute button before entering the shower. It seems to be the perfect amount of time to get the moisture out.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Bill Kearney

shower stall ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
I can tell when the wife doesn't turn the fan on until after her shower because there is a bit more moisture on the crown moldings, but I've never seen any on the ceiling.
The lutron switch we've got is a combo dimmer/timer. The light for the fan intake is on the top dimmer and the timer runs the fan. My wife's just the opposite, she tends to push the fan all the way up to the 60 minute timer. I find 20 minutes start/finish seems about right.

The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (08-29-2012)