Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #1

Share |

Shower Redo HELP

The grout between my tiles in the shower has fallen out and water has gotten behind over time. I need to replace the tile and the sheetrock. I am going to be using the cement board and I have some questions before I begin this project. I am hopefully not going to have to do anything to the pan except retile it. For now my questions pertain to the cement board. First do the joints need to be taped and what type of product do I use. How about the inside corners. Do these need to be taped or do I use like a silicone to seal it? Do I need to cover all the screw holes also? Does the cement board that goes on the walls sit on the shower floor or is there a gap at the bottom, if so do I need to fill this with the silicone or tape? Do I need to put extra protection on the cement board like a paint on sealer, or water barrier? In which order do you tile, walls first then floor or vise versa? I know just enought to get myself in trouble. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cap33905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Experienced

Shower Redo HELP

Hello and welcome cap33905, to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

I am sure you will have to strip your current walls down to the studs and check for any water damage, in the meantime I am sure one of the experts will chime in.

Mark

Old 08-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
DIY staff

Shower Redo HELP

You mentioned 'retiling the pan'----you are in trouble already---most tiled pans have the Durrock embedded into the deck mud of the pan. Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

As to the cement board---the seams and corners are taped with tiling mesh and thinset as you tile unless you are using a paint on waterproofing---with waterproofing lightly tape the seams and corners first--then apply the waterproofing.

Pictures will help a lot----Mike----
Old 08-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Tileguy

Shower Redo HELP

That's a lot of questions to ask in one place...someone would be writing you your own personal how-to book. All of the information you require is here if you will do a search. Then come back if you don't understand some things.

Start with the link Oh' mike has offered.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote