Shower Pan Question - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shower Pan Question

This may be a dumb question, but, is there a prefab shower pan that I would be able to tile the TOP and FACE (outside of the shower) with the tile that will be going on the shower walls? I want nothing to do with the tile redi shower pans as Ive heard far to many bad stories about and honestly, I want a PVC or acylic shower pan. Can anyone provide me with some product suggestions and if this is even possible? The shower walls will be the the small mosaic tiles. You guys on here are awesome! Thanks!

Advertisement

SER56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #2

Shower Pan Question

...if no such product exists, has anyone used a certain brand/product in the past that has worked and has a good reputation (jsut as far as a standard shower pan goes)? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Shower Pan Question

The Schluter Kerdi system is one of the best. Try plugging it into the search tab at the top of this page and you should find lots of threads on this topic.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

Shower Pan Question

Blondsence is correct--Shluter Makes a preformed pan and curb--which is covered with a waterproof membrane after the wall backer is installed--

There are several tile pros here that have a lot of experience using the system---

One of them will check in soon---check You Tube videos or go to Schluters site,while you wait--
Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #5

Shower Pan Question

Thank you both for the comments! However, I am just going with a PVC (or similiar material) prefab pan now. If you have time, please chime in on the post I just created called "Shower remodel continues to grow...please advice". Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #6

Shower Pan Question

I do not believe that you can tile over PVC or acrylic. There are two tile-ready one piece shower pans that I've found. One is by Tile Redi, which has had some issues, as you note. The other is by KBRS (www.showerbase.com). I just installed one, and am very happy with it. I found it very simple to install for a first time DIYer, and had no problems. Check it out.
jonbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #7

Shower Pan Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbt View Post
I do not believe that you can tile over PVC or acrylic. There are two tile-ready one piece shower pans that I've found. One is by Tile Redi, which has had some issues, as you note. The other is by KBRS (www.showerbase.com). I just installed one, and am very happy with it. I found it very simple to install for a first time DIYer, and had no problems. Check it out.
Thank you for the info!

Advertisement