Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
GeorgeDupreeJr

Share |

shower Drain pan

I have a concret floor home my bathroom has an old tub but i want to convert it to a walk in shower how do i go about moving the drain to the center or can i leave it at the end of the shower an if i can how do i go about doing the slope from one end to the other?

george115855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:31 AM   #2

shower Drain pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by george115855 View Post
I have a concret floor home my bathroom has an old tub but i want to convert it to a walk in shower how do i go about moving the drain to the center or can i leave it at the end of the shower an if i can how do i go about doing the slope from one end to the other?
You can do either scenario. If you're doing your own pan, they sell plastic sloped runners you can set up to the drain. You build a perimeter frame to the drain. Fill the sections with drypack mud to the tops of the framework. You then remove the individual pieces and fill in the spaces with the mud.
You'll have to extend the drain upward to the proper level and be able to install the liner so the base is waterproof.
To move the drain, jackhammer the slab and move the drain where you want. Just make sure you maintain a slope to the stack so the water drains properly.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
DIY staff

shower Drain pan

You need a 2" drain for a shower--If you are converting from a tub (1 1/2" drain) you will need to change that.

Ceramic tile installation. Shower construction, installing floor and wall tile.

This links covers the basics of a lined pan system.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #4

shower Drain pan

You can leave the drain where it is. Just make sure that you pick the point farthest away from the drain as your start point for your slope, highest point. Make a level line around the shower from that point and slope everything to the drain so your tile has a level starting line when the shower pan is complete. This link shows how to build a mortar shower pan.

http://icreatables.com/floorings/shower-pan-mortar.html

Christopher
icreate is offline   Reply With Quote