Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

shower doors

how is the bottom aluminum track for the doors fastened to the tile threshold ???

saltysenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

shower doors

I would imagine 100% silicone, (it's what I used with our shower doors on the tub) but I have very little experience with doing this.

DM

Old 09-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

shower doors

I worked for a glass company that installed a lot of custom shower doors. When we did bypass doors we did not ever screw the bottom track or channel because that is asking for trouble.

The way we would install them is by laying down the bottom track dry, then setting the jambs dry and marking where to drill the tile. Drill the tile, set anchors if necessary and then clean up thoroughly. Now we would set the bottom track. On the nicer heavier glass doors, and some other nicer doors, the bottom track has a track for you to run a nice thick bead of silicon, so you run that bead and then set it on the tub or tile. If there was no place to run a bead then we would set it dry because otherwise you would have to use a on of silicone to fill the hollow void. After the track is set then set the jambs and header and hang and adjust doors. After that run a bead of silicone across the bottom of the track on the inside as well as the jambs.

On frameless enclosures where a sidelite panel would go down to the threshold we would use a high bond tape (very strong, feels as strong as screws) to hold the channel and the run the silicone after.
jegolopolli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jegolopolli For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (09-14-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
the Musigician

shower doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegolopolli View Post
When we did bypass doors we did not ever screw the bottom track or channel because that is asking for trouble.
Please elucidate? What problems? (other than the obvious drilling through tiles)

Thanks for helping!

DM
Old 09-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

shower doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Please elucidate? What problems? (other than the obvious drilling through tiles)

Thanks for helping!

DM
Sorry I didnt elaborate.

You never want to drill into the threshold (or any horizontal surface really) because if water ever gets under the track you just gave it an easy place to get under your tile and cause major problems.

Now, for frameless enclosures there are times where you have to drill into the threshold, for example if a customer wants pivot hinges you need to attache the hinge to the threshold. We would try to stear clear of this if at all possible and if the customer insisted than after the holes where drilled we would squirt some silicone over the hole before putting the screw in it.

Another example for a frameless enclosure would be if a return panel either sitting on a bench, knee wall or going to the floor sometimes you have to drill the tile to attach the channel properly. If it is a small enough panel on a knee wall or bench then you could use the high bond tape and silicone again because the channel screwed to the wall will help tie everything together. Either way still running a nice silicone bead on the inside along the channel and tile as well as channel to glass to not only form a seal but also to hold the structure together.
jegolopolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
the Musigician

shower doors

Thank You for the follow-up!
I'd probably squirt some silicone INTO the hole as well before sinking the screw!
Seal that sucker up as much as possible!

DM