Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #1

Share |

Shower caulking

I am fairly new at this so this might be a fairly straight fwd question.

I am recaulking my entire shower in the bathroom and I was able to remove the rubber-like caulk from all 4 sides. After i removed the rubber-like caulk material i noticed something where the tile and 'shower pan' (plastic/fiberglass drain pan) meet. I noticed that there is a hard white colored thing between the tile and the shower pan. I am not sure if I should remove this also before applying the new caulk. I am attaching a pic to make it a bit more clear.

If i remove this hard white thing there is a gap between the tile and the shower pan. so not sure if im supposed to remove the hard white thing and fill the gap with new caulk.
Attached Thumbnails
Shower caulking-dsc01257.jpg  
donjt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #2

Shower caulking

The only thing I see in the pic to be removed is old caulk or grout. By all means remove it.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #3

Shower caulking

So if I remove the grout, do I need to fill the gap in with grout or just caulk?
donjt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #4

Shower caulking

It looks like you can fill the gap with caulk.

Time to Get Up Out of Your Chair and Do it Yourself!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #5

Shower caulking

J channel used to protect the edge of the wall material. It could also be H channel used to hold two sheets of wall material together. Either way I wouldn't personaly remove it unless its unstable, interferring with the appearance of the surface or your new caulk. Thanks for the pic, but it doesn't show me the particular object you refer to...an arrow could help. I wish you well caulking, not an easy task in old installation. One hint to help, don't cut the caulk tube too large on the tip, a small application of caulk is much easier to handle and shape than a large one. Several applications work better sometimes also.
Willin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
long island, NY

Shower caulking

good grief. we have a VERY similar situation in the bath of our rental... and I have to re-caulk that prior to 1/1. Please keep caulking tips for old installations coming... I'm afraid of making a mess....
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote