Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 106
Share |
Default

Shower base: which brand to go with?


Hello,


As part of my bathroom remodeling project I need to buy and install a new single threshold 36x36 shower base (floor, tray, pan), but I am not sure which brand to go with. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but would like to have a decent quality base. There are American Standard Acrylux, Swanstone, KOHLER, Crane and many others. For example, I found good looking American Standard 3636Y1.ST Shower Base for just about $140, but there are some other American Standard or Swanstone bases which cost between $400 and $500.
Can someone tell from his experience why prices are so different and which brand is more reliable?

Thanks a lot in advance.

sukhenkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Default

Shower base: which brand to go with?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhenkoi View Post
Hello,


As part of my bathroom remodeling project I need to buy and install a new single threshold 36x36 shower base (floor, tray, pan), but I am not sure which brand to go with. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but would like to have a decent quality base. There are American Standard Acrylux, Swanstone, KOHLER, Crane and many others. For example, I found good looking American Standard 3636Y1.ST Shower Base for just about $140, but there are some other American Standard or Swanstone bases which cost between $400 and $500.
Can someone tell from his experience why prices are so different and which brand is more reliable?

Thanks a lot in advance.
I use Americh because it's solidly built and never had an issue with it. The 36x 36 units run about $405.00. Never had any experience with the low cost units. I would think they're aimed at the DIYer's who are trying to save money.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 3,118
Default

Shower base: which brand to go with?


I prefer man made stones or solid acrylics over thin fiberglass units. They usually cost more but are easier to install(often no mortar base needed), and last longer.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
Experienced
 
Jackofall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Michigan
Posts: 2,822
Default

Shower base: which brand to go with?


What are your plans for the base, are you thinking of tiling the base afterward?

Mark
__________________
When its all said and done there is usually more said than done
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: central virginia mountains
Posts: 1,857
Default

Shower base: which brand to go with?


I used a swanstone in a shower with their wall panels and was pretty happy. not cheap but pretty diy
__________________
The older I get the better I was
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,066
Default

Shower base: which brand to go with?


Quote:
What are your plans for the base, are you thinking of tiling the base afterward?
Oh-oh! We all know where this is going and which base not to use!
__________________
Make Your Nominations For September 2014 DIYer of the Month
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Experienced
 
Jackofall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Michigan
Posts: 2,822
Default

Shower base: which brand to go with?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Oh-oh! We all know where this is going and which base not to use!
You are just way to clever Mr Bud!!!
__________________
When its all said and done there is usually more said than done
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,066
Default

Shower base: which brand to go with?


I'm kinda surprised they haven't tried to sue me by now.
__________________
Make Your Nominations For September 2014 DIYer of the Month
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 106
Default

Shower base: which brand to go with?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
What are your plans for the base, are you thinking of tiling the base afterward?

Mark
No. Just use it as it is. I will tile walls, but not the base.

sukhenkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiberglass Shower Base Install Q's yohan Plumbing 8 01-07-2011 03:46 PM
adding shower base kerbongi Plumbing 2 08-08-2010 09:07 PM
How to tile around a Pre fab shower base geoffthemonk Building & Construction 1 11-07-2009 09:10 AM
Installing a new shower base frgwtchr Plumbing 2 08-17-2009 06:30 AM
How to install a preformed shower base Ironman Plumbing 2 01-15-2009 08:36 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.