Should I Accept This Granite Installation? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Should I accept this granite Installation?

I spent weekes looking for granite and 5 trips to the Detroit area to look at slabs before choosing a very expensive 'Exotic' granite. It was much because I was told by 3 different granite installers that the job needed 2 slabs to be done correctly and it was quoted as such. I finally picked Carpe Diem and went with the middle priced fabricator. A couple of days before they were to install they dropped the price and told me they were only going to use one slab. That meant that it could not be done as templated by their own guy and I was very upset and told them no I want it as quoted. Well I let them talk me into into it when they said they were professionals and they knew what they were doing and that the seams (now 2 instead of one) whould match.

Bad decision, I paid top dollar and got what I feel was a handyman special. They are refusing to do anything about it and say color mismatches are to be expected.

I need to know if I am being too picky. I think they are the worst seam color matches I have found
Attached Images

Advertisement

Juner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #2

Yes the seam and color match is bad but unfortunately that is what happens when you try to do the job out of one slab on a stone with that much veining and color variation. They should have informed you before they started. I always show the customer where the pieces will come out of t he slab at by drawing the top on the slab and sending a photo or having them come out. There is no way to fix without starting over. Odds they can split the seam reuse the piece and find a match are slim. Not sure what advice I can give since I never would have done it like that.

Advertisement

jeffh110 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffh110 For This Useful Post:
Juner (06-08-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,472

I wouldn't. Can you post a better picture showing more of the counter top. Really do not need a close-up, which makes it harder to really get the big picture.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Juner (06-08-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Craftster

Rewards Points: 77

Personally I wouldn't accept that, I'd tell them they had to do it over with 2 slabs (and charge you what the original contract stated) or have them remove this ugly work and stop payment on check/contact credit card company to deny payment and take your business elsewhere.
ghostlyvision is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ghostlyvision For This Useful Post:
Juner (06-08-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,164

That's a terrible match,i wouldn't accept that.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
Juner (06-08-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 628

I can see why a DIY or someone that knows nothing about natural stone products would think that's a miss match.
Your dealing with a natural nature made material, there's alway going to be flaws and differant coloration.

Want it looking perfect, go with man made.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Two Knots (08-26-2013)
Old 06-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,472

When we were looking for the Granite counter with undermount sink, it took going through seven boxed up sinks and two different stores (home depot, Lowe's) to not only find one that matched the side piece that we had bought for a sample originally, but one without a lot of flaws or large veins that showed either rust from iron deposits in it, or places that when they finished the edges, that were not overly pocked or nicked.

As for the counter, yes I would agree with Joe, that if you want something without flaws, they should have either made a closer match to the pieces, or you should have gone with one of the manufactured stones if you wanted consistency with no character. Slabs come in ten foot by six foot lengths, so unless that was a huge piece, they should have made a better match.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,690

why is the picture upside down ?

post a pic from further back.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,164

"A couple of days before they were to install they dropped the price and told me they were only going to use one slab. That meant that it could not be done as templated by their own guy and I was very upset and told them no I want it as quoted"

I still say it's a terrible match job.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,690

a better perspective.

that type of granite is not going to match at any seam.

i think i know what happened. they made it as one piece, and then broke it where the sink is. and then cut out the bad side and replaced it = the seam.
Attached Images

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #11

I appreaciate everyones comments. I am concerned about the ones that say it is to be expected with exotic granite. They promised me the seams would be color matched and they would cut it as we laid the template.

I feel the job should have been done with 2 slabs so the colors would have been close. I am adding a photo of the slab and the other seam which was not cut as promised but does look better because it is at least close in color.

I feell like they misled me when they promised a color match if I would let them do it with one slab. I would never have agrgeed to the price if I had know how bad it would look.

I don't think it is a color match, and it they quote it one way and then change their minds at the last minute and do something this different I think they are responsible to fix it.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 29

Did you sign off on the template location on the slabs?

Like jeffh110 said, most good fabricators will outline the templates in tape on the actual slab and make you come back in and sign off on it. Or at least take a picture of the slab with outlines of where the pieces are coming from.

Every granite fabricator I have worked with has made me sign off every step along the way to avoid this problem because there is no going back now.
cube17576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #13

When I first started they told me I had to have 2 slabs. This meant I ruled out many granites that were lees expensive because there was only one slab available.

They told me they had 2 slabs one in the shop and the other on reserve. That was not true as when I told them no use 2 slabs as quoted they said, Oh we don't have 2 anymore.

I know I am at fault for letting them pressure me into it but don't they have the responsiblity to do it as discussed and promised? They charged
a lot of money for a very poor job.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I accept this granite Installation?-slabtemplate.jpg  
Old 06-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 29

I think you have a case with them and should push to get it corrected. It is not going to be an easy fight, but I think you have ground to stand on.
cube17576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #15

I am going to send all of my emails to a lawyer for review, unfortunately I didn't record our phone and in person conversations. I never dreamed it would come to this. I just can't beleive the owner/boss refuses to talk to me. I have asked for him and my sales guy Jon to please come to my house and see it in person many times but they have said, "No need, Your satisfaction is not required" - They told me my satisfaction was guarunteed when they took my money

Advertisement

Tags
bad granite , bad installation , granite countertops