Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #1

Share |

shimming studs for tub surround

My tub needs almost a 1/2 inch shim at the edge. The studs going up from there are not perfect either. Should I make a full length shim from a 2x4 that is 1/2" at the bottom and then measure out from the studs at the full height of the surround wall to determine the gap there and cut a shim that is 5 ft in length tapering from 1/2" to say 3/4" at the top? Or do I just need to shim the top edge? I am thinking the walls will not be supported properly without a full length shim

blzbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:13 AM   #2

Don't forget you need to install tile and backerboard over the studs. If you need to shim, shim the bottom as needed, then shim the rest to plumb with a level.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Tileguy

Quote:
Should I make a full length shim from a 2x4 that is 1/2" at the bottom and then measure out from the studs at the full height of the surround wall to determine the gap there and cut a shim that is 5 ft in length tapering from 1/2" to say 3/4" at the top?
Exactly the way to do it. Any wallboard must be fully supported top to bottom.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #4

Now is the time to get your wall studs as plumb and flush to each other as you can. I went through this same process. Towards the bottom of page two had pictures Jim's downstairs bathroom project. I used a hand held skill saw to cut my furring strips but highly recommend a table saw. I would say best to determine your need at the tub base be it 1/2" and measure at the top. You should be able to draw a straight line between the two measurements on a 2x4 and rip it. Then glue and screw this onto your stud and have a plumb stud furred out where you need it. You also want to hold a 4 ft level on 3 adjacent studs at a time to make sure they are flush with each other. Add shims or plane as necessary.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:31 AM   #5
DIY staff

Most often a whole new stud can be 'Sistered" in. Place a new stud along side the old one--position it the way you need--then nail them together.

Plumb and flat are ideal-------flat is most important for a tile installation.---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #6

Sistering sounds easier. I wish I'd thought of it. I wonder if the OP will be back for the answers to his question.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
DIY staff

Some time we never know!!!
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #8

Thanks for all of your posts. Sistering sounds good where possible. I will probably wind up ripping 2x4s for the correct shim.

blzbub is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blzbub For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-18-2010)