Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers

Share |

Setback, need advice

I have been remodeling my only bathroom on a pretty tight budget. So far, doing extraordinarily well. Except, last night, I found a stress crack in my acrylic tub/shower combo... Right now, all walls are open. I am trying to decide if I want to

a. Replace the unit with a cast tub and tile the shower walls above it

b. try to repair the acrylic tub, where, even though I have experienc working with fiberglass, I have no faith that an unnoticeable match to the existing finish can be obtained. Its an off-white.

my pros and cons of replacing and tiling

Pros

*I think it might look better to tile
*It will be stronger
*I'm guessing will increase equity

Cons

*It will cost me at least $600 to replace the tub and tile, and about $35 to repair.
*This is my only bathroom and I have no idea what we will do shower in the interim, right now, we are using the tub to take baths in the morning while the walls are down.

I'm torn. I really good use some advice, if for no better reason than to get the hamster back in the wheel in my own head.

I'm also worried that I might fix it, put up the walls, paint, caulk and all, then have the crack return..

Last edited by J187; 03-26-2009 at 08:00 AM.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #2

Setback, need advice

Don't know how tight the budget is, but if I could swing it, I'd replace the tub. If you remove the tub on a Friday evening, you could have the new one installed and partially functional by the end of the weekend.

Consider family, friends, a motel room or sponge baths.

Just my 2

Old 03-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
They're all fixer-uppers

Setback, need advice

Thanks... What would you replace it with? Cast iron, pocelain enamled steel, another acrylic....
Old 03-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #4

Setback, need advice

I haven't done enough research to give an educated opinion. I'm in the planning stages for my primary bath later this summer.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
General Contractor

Setback, need advice

Do yourself a favor and spend the money. The fix will only be temporary at best. I'd suggest getting a GOOD fiberglass or acrylic tub with a 3 piece matching wall surround. Best bet for the better stuff is a plumbing supply house or showroom. Tub and surround mounts directly to the studs, then you drywall over the nailing flanges. Cost for a good unit will be between $400 to $700. You can have it installed in a day.
HWConstruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
They're all fixer-uppers

Setback, need advice

Thanks guys.... We decided to go ahead and buy a new styrene ViKral tub. Tub was installed yesterday with no problems. We are then going to tile around the alcove from tub to ceiling with 6x6 porcelain tile lined with bullnose on the edges and a nice accent stripe in the middle. Thanks again.