Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #1

Share |

Selecting a New Kitchen Faucet

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this question - my apologies if I am in the wrong section.

The basic faucet installed in our home drives me batty. The low clearance and average depth of my sink make getting larger items in and out a pain. I selected a great faucet over the weekend and went to work on the installation. Everything was looking great, until I realized that the shape/size of the faucet caused the entire sink to flex whenever you touched it. Called my neighbor (same builder, exact same sink) who has a different style of faucet and asked if I could come take a look at it. Their sink flexes as well, but not nearly as much as ours did. I'm assuming this was because my new faucet was a pull-down and theirs is a pull out - different designs and different transfer of force on the sink.

I looked into the manf. spec on the sink and it appears we have a 22 gauge stainless sink - which clearly is much too thin to support the heft of the chosen faucet. Uninstalled it and went back to the drawing board with the original faucet. Original faucet flexes the sink also, but less than my neighbors pull-out style. Stupid sink is going to flex no matter what, I know...

Our plan is to move to a solid surface countertop with an undermount sink within the next 3 years. I was looking for a faucet I could use now and install later in the new sink. Considered upgrading the existing drop in to a higher gauge (18 for cost, 16 if necessary but seems to be cost preventative) as a stop-gap measure - but I'm afraid I'm just sinking money into something for no reason, only to replace it with another one in a few years.

Any advice for me on a style/manf/brand of faucet that would be suited for the existing sink (4 hole)? Feedback on upgrading to a 16/18 gauge instead? Wait for full remodel?

klumbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #2

You can pick up a low cost Delta single handle faucet and put that in if your current faucet is that bad.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:49 AM   #3

Forget delta crap, go take a look at the Grohe and Hans Grohe, they are solid faucets alot of them are solid metal as opposed to mostly plastic, do a web search for them really nice looking product, if you want a little cheaper maybe Kohler. I stay away from delta at all costs, if you ever want to sell down the road delta doesn't add any value.
Adam_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #4

Or you could brace the under side of your current sink with say a 1x4" strip of wood screw the ends into the cabinet and just brace the underside of the sink so it doesn't flex.
Adam_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #5

Buy the sink you'll want 3 yrs down the road, buy it now, as long as it's drop-in/undermount compatible.
Mr. Michael is offline   Reply With Quote