DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Kitchen & Bath Remodeling (
-   -   Selecting a New Kitchen Faucet (

klumbsy 02-15-2011 02:24 PM

Selecting a New Kitchen Faucet
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this question - my apologies if I am in the wrong section.

The basic faucet installed in our home drives me batty. The low clearance and average depth of my sink make getting larger items in and out a pain. I selected a great faucet over the weekend and went to work on the installation. Everything was looking great, until I realized that the shape/size of the faucet caused the entire sink to flex whenever you touched it. Called my neighbor (same builder, exact same sink) who has a different style of faucet and asked if I could come take a look at it. Their sink flexes as well, but not nearly as much as ours did. I'm assuming this was because my new faucet was a pull-down and theirs is a pull out - different designs and different transfer of force on the sink.

I looked into the manf. spec on the sink and it appears we have a 22 gauge stainless sink - which clearly is much too thin to support the heft of the chosen faucet. Uninstalled it and went back to the drawing board with the original faucet. Original faucet flexes the sink also, but less than my neighbors pull-out style. Stupid sink is going to flex no matter what, I know...

Our plan is to move to a solid surface countertop with an undermount sink within the next 3 years. I was looking for a faucet I could use now and install later in the new sink. Considered upgrading the existing drop in to a higher gauge (18 for cost, 16 if necessary but seems to be cost preventative) as a stop-gap measure - but I'm afraid I'm just sinking money into something for no reason, only to replace it with another one in a few years.

Any advice for me on a style/manf/brand of faucet that would be suited for the existing sink (4 hole)? Feedback on upgrading to a 16/18 gauge instead? Wait for full remodel?

Ron6519 02-24-2011 08:48 AM

You can pick up a low cost Delta single handle faucet and put that in if your current faucet is that bad.

Adam_M 02-25-2011 07:49 AM

Forget delta crap, go take a look at the Grohe and Hans Grohe, they are solid faucets alot of them are solid metal as opposed to mostly plastic, do a web search for them really nice looking product, if you want a little cheaper maybe Kohler. I stay away from delta at all costs, if you ever want to sell down the road delta doesn't add any value.

Adam_M 02-25-2011 08:20 AM

Or you could brace the under side of your current sink with say a 1x4" strip of wood screw the ends into the cabinet and just brace the underside of the sink so it doesn't flex.

Mr. Michael 02-25-2011 08:29 AM

Buy the sink you'll want 3 yrs down the road, buy it now, as long as it's drop-in/undermount compatible.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1