DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Kitchen & Bath Remodeling (http://www.diychatroom.com/f80/)
-   -   Sealing joint between tile and tub (http://www.diychatroom.com/f80/sealing-joint-between-tile-tub-100098/)

tatnic 03-30-2011 08:02 PM

Sealing joint between tile and tub
 
My bath has tile walls and a fiberglas tub. The joint between the bottom of the tile wall and the tub has failed and water is leaking down to and staining the ceiling below. This started a couple of years ago so I dug out all the old grout and caulking that had been applied before we bought the place, and resealed it with some good qaulity caulking (geocell 2300 which works great in exterior applications and lasts a long, long time). That held up for a couple of years but I now see that its starting to fail again.

Should I remove all that caulking and try something else? The original grout didn't hold up that long, if that's what was used originally, I can't be sure. What's the proper method of sealing that joint between the two different materials?

the first thing I investigated was the possibility of pipe leaks and found no evidence of that...its the bad joint.

thanks for any advice or experience you may have had with tile and tubs.

Tatnic

Bud Cline 03-30-2011 08:07 PM

THAT particular juncture is one that requires periodic maintenance over time.

My personal preference for that juncture is a latex or siliconized tub and tile caulk. Either of those two products can be tooled with a damp sponge when installed and are capable of giving you a perfect looking juncture transition every time. Some will suggest using 100% silicone and swear by it, but in my experience I have seen that stuff cause untold damage in the hands of a novice time after time.:yes:

tatnic 03-30-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud Cline (Post 620310)
THAT particular juncture is one that requires periodic maintenance over time.

My personal preference for that juncture is a latex or siliconized tub and tile caulk. Either of those two products can be tooled with a damp sponge when installed and are capable of giving you a perfect looking juncture transition every time. Some will suggest using 100% silicone and swear by it, but in my experience I have seen that stuff cause untold damage in the hands of a novice time after time.:yes:

any suggestions on brands? I don't mind spending more for a higher qaulity, longer lasting caulk.

thanks for your help

Bud Cline 03-31-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

any suggestions on brands?
To be honest I have had small problems using all of them from time to time. It's hard to keep up.

I would suggest DAP. It is a mainstream offering and should be available everywhere.:)

tatnic 03-31-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud Cline (Post 620503)
To be honest I have had small problems using all of them from time to time. It's hard to keep up.

I would suggest DAP. It is a mainstream offering and should be available everywhere.:)

preciate it...

Ron6519 04-01-2011 11:01 PM

The tub would have a lip on it at least an inch high. You shouldn't have a leak there if the joint was left wide open.
It sounds like the wall material(whatever was used) was butted up to the top of the flange instead of overlapping it.
I would guess the issue was above the tub/tile interface, such as loose or popped grout. Water is getting in and running down behind the tile, hitting the gap and getting behind the tub.
Ron

Blondesense 04-01-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron6519 (Post 621619)
The tub would have a lip on it at least an inch high. You shouldn't have a leak there if the joist was left wide open.
It sounds like the wall material(whatever was used) was butted up to the top of the flange instead of overlapping it.
I would guess the issue was above the tub/tile interface, such as loose or popped grout. Water is getting in and running down behind the tile, hitting the gap and getting behind the tub.
Ron

I'm no expert but I was wondering about this too. If you have enough water to make it through and become visible on the ceiling below, I would be concerned that your problem is more than this one caulking joint. Do you have a pic?

CMHbob 04-10-2011 08:08 PM

If the ceiling below is stained with water, there is a lot of water getting behind the tile! First, remove/replace the caulk next to the tub. I prefer the acrylic latex waterproof caulk. It cleans up with water and is easier to work than silicone. It has a similar life and comes with anti-mildew additives. Next I would seal the grout lines with an acrylic color sealer. It is water proof and mildew-proof (click here). If these two fixes don't stop the leak, then its time to replace the tile.

Bud Cline 04-11-2011 12:02 AM

Yup, a Home Depot puppet. Here to promote products sold at Home Depot.:yes:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved