Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #1

Share |

Sealing Granite

I installed a new bath counter top, an inexpensive off the shelf piece from Menards. It's a decent light granite with some brown in it. I went to seal it and when it was wet, the colors really came out and it looked gorgeous. After the sealer dried, it went back to it's original dull, but ok look. (I've got two coats of sealer on and I think I need a few more).

My question is, is there any product that will bring the colors out and make it look the way it does when it is wet from the sealer? I'm not expecting much from a $160 piece of granite, but it sure would look great. No one at Home Depot seemed to know so I thought I would check here.
mbaudler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Tileguy

Sealing Granite

Quote:
My question is, is there any product that will bring the colors out and make it look the way it does when it is wet from the sealer? I'm not expecting much from a $160 piece of granite, but it sure would look great. No one at Home Depot seemed to know so I thought I would check here.
It may be too late now!

Here's the deal with sealers. Unfortunately most people don't understand sealers. Sealers are to seal. Once they are applied they are formulated to do two things. 1. They slow the penetration of a spill giving you time to clean it up before damage occurs. 2. They are formulated to return the sealed product to its original appearance. People would complain if the colors changed and didn't return to their original appearance.

What you should have used should have been a "stone enhancer".

Now that you have applied the sealer applying an enhancer may not give you the look you desire.

Also keep in mind (and understand) that sealers ARE NOT proofers. Sealers will not stain proof a stone.

You likely won't gain anything now by adding more applications of the sealer either.

If you are real gutsy you could try a stone enhancer now but it's anybodies guess what will happen this time around. It may mottle the stone.

You may be able to employ a pro to polish the surface but I'll let you in on a little secret. The in-expensive so-called "granites" you buy at the home centers aren't really granite in the truer since of the word. They are softer lessor stones that sometimes won't take a high gloss polishing at all.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #3

Sealing Granite

Thanks for the great info. I'll just leave it alone.

Trying to get the wife to understand that you have to clean up spills right away is the hard part. I guess this one will get stained and then we will have to upgrade down the road to something like Cambria. Penny wise pound foolish with this home center granite.
mbaudler is offline   Reply With Quote