Sanding Cabinets, Paint Keeps Coming Up - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sanding cabinets, paint keeps coming up

Hello,

We have recently hired some men who, at this point, seem questionably competent to sand down and stain our kitchen cabinets. It looks like the cabinets were never stained, but first painted white then a very dark red. The men removed the paint, then sanded the cabinets down to the light wood. Because of their schedule, a week or two after sanding, an orange-ish color seems to be coming up. An older gentleman they brought in who seems to be more knowledgeable said this is the old white paint coming up. He says the cabinets need to be sanded down again before the stain will apply properly. I've cleaned my house twice now - thoroughly - due to the sanding mess. I have health problems and am feeling unwilling to clean the whole house yet again.

The older gentleman said the best option is to prime the cabinets and paint them; an option I don't love and my husband loves less . . . is this gentleman correct? Also, there are two cabinet doors he said he cannot get the red paint off completely. I see him in the garage applying mineral spirits and sanding, but the paint does appear to have seaped through the wood. They are custom cabinets with lots of little grooves. My husband is unwilling to spend any more money on this.

Can they be stained a darker color and look nice? We chose a lighter color because that is what we wanted. I'd rather a light paint because I like a bright kitchen. Is there a type of paint that works best for cabinets. Please anyone help. I've been living in a mess for almost a month now . . .

Melissa

Advertisement

melissaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

You are not going to get good results staining those cabinets---they were painted over raw wood--paint grade mismatched wood---when cabinets are designed to be stained,higher grade wood is used--color and grain matched----

I suggest you buy new doors and drawers and reface the cabinet boxes using a matching wood veneer---

I can't see this job looking good any other way---

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Oh'mike,
Thanks for your reply! The chances of getting my husband to pay for new drawers and doors right now is pretty remote. What do you think about the idea of priming, then painting the cabinets? Does it make a difference if we use a lighter or darker paint. I prefer a light paint.
Thanks!
Melissa
melissaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,628

Melissaa....I also agree with Mike.....

It almost never turns out well to stain previously painted wood. As Mike mentioned, those cabinets are most likely paint grade wood...which means there were never intended to be stained.

So...yes...as a back up plan...paint....and yes, you must prime first....otherwise, the paint is not going to stick well.

A lighter paint will show less defects.

You want to use a good semi or full gloss enamel paint.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

I suggest you talk to your local paint store--Benjamin Moore is where I go for advice----this is the usual steps----prime--then lightly sand----then top with two coats of a good quality semigloss enamel----

Spraying is the best if you have a skilled person with the gun---but brushing can be done nicely----
Old 03-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaa View Post
Hello,

We have recently hired some men who, at this point, seem questionably competent to sand down and stain our kitchen cabinets. It looks like the cabinets were never stained, but first painted white then a very dark red. The men removed the paint, then sanded the cabinets down to the light wood. Because of their schedule, a week or two after sanding, an orange-ish color seems to be coming up. An older gentleman they brought in who seems to be more knowledgeable said this is the old white paint coming up. He says the cabinets need to be sanded down again before the stain will apply properly. I've cleaned my house twice now - thoroughly - due to the sanding mess. I have health problems and am feeling unwilling to clean the whole house yet again.

The older gentleman said the best option is to prime the cabinets and paint them; an option I don't love and my husband loves less . . . is this gentleman correct? Also, there are two cabinet doors he said he cannot get the red paint off completely. I see him in the garage applying mineral spirits and sanding, but the paint does appear to have seaped through the wood. They are custom cabinets with lots of little grooves. My husband is unwilling to spend any more money on this.

Can they be stained a darker color and look nice? We chose a lighter color because that is what we wanted. I'd rather a light paint because I like a bright kitchen. Is there a type of paint that works best for cabinets. Please anyone help. I've been living in a mess for almost a month now . . .

Melissa
I agree with previous posts about staining being a bad option. After sanding, prime with Zinsser Cover Stain or Bulls Eye 123. Follow with two topcoats over the primer. I would use a waterborne finish for the topcoat because it dries harder than regular latex. Ask your local paint store about waterborne options. You can use a sponge roller to get a nice sprayed look on the doors. I prefer the orange cover made by Whizz. Good luck.

Advertisement

VAProPainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabinets , kitchen , paint , stain