Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #1

Share |

Safeway Bathtub Step

Safeway has a product where you cut out part of the side of your bathtub and cap the opening which creates a stepthrough area to make it easier to enter/exit the tub/shower. I can't really see the $700 or so to have it installed though, but I could see $200 or so for the kit as it looks like an easy DIY project. The company wants installers instead of selling the kit outright and I am just looking for a one time DIY project for my own use. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (I suppose I could use wood to cap the opening but the safeway kit would be easier).

Laughingchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Safeway Bathtub Step

I just did a quick view of their web site (easily found on google).

My biggest concern would be that cutting a big chunk out of a tub will cause it to crack (sooner or later) across the bottom.

Other thoughts include: Is cutting into a bathtub really an easy DIY project? What kind of tub do you have?

Realize that even if you have a white tub, all whites are not the same. It may not be a perfect color match.

It is shown on a nice flat aproned tub. I have a hard time believing it will fit perfectly on any tub. I suspect tub thicknesses and curves may vary.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote