Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

RTA Conestoga cabinet delivery

just got a call that our kitchen cabinets will arrive Monday morning.

Any tips from others who have put together their own cabinets?
We will also be doing the install of the lowers, 2 uppers.

DIY-Her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 120

What condition are the floors and walls in?
Checked to see if the walls are flat, how square they are?
Checked level of the floors from the wall out?
Marked the studs.
Found the high spot in the floor so you can mark your line to set the lower cabinets?

DIY-Her (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
K&B Designer

Assembly requires a lot of open space for the unassembled product, the assembly space, and the assembled product. At least a completely cleaned out garage. And then you want to acclimate the assembled cabinets indoors before install just like wood floors. At least a couple of days indoors before you install them is really helpful. I'm assuming you already have the air compressor and brad nailer, screw gun, cabinet jack or Tpost, lots and lots and lots of clamps, and a laser leveler. And that you ordered them with a scribable back and know how to scribe, or scribe molding and know how to use that. And understand about fillers and extended stiles next to walls and how to scribe them.

Actually, it'd be easier if you listed your experience and tools so we could fill in the gaps rather than assuming on our part.
DIY-Her (02-21-2014), joecaption (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #4

unfortunately, we don't have a completely cleaned out garage. Am going to have to put them together in my living room with a drop cloth and 2 horses and plywood on top with a soft blankets my husband had from delivering pianos in the past.

The cabinets come already scribed and we don't need clamps to put them together only when we go to install. I'm doing all the finishing myself and 5 of the cabinets I am spray painting, so have to wait for Spring weather to bring them out in our driveway to do. I did that with the upper cabinets last Summer.

The floors and walls are fine. We already have cabinets on them. We are taking the lower cabinets out, installing ceramic tile under the cabinets that we didn't do before because cabinets were installed 1994 and new tile floor installed 2012.
We have plenty of left over tile for that luckily.

We have to buy a rubber mallet, longer leveler, 3 smaller clamps when clamping the cabinets against each other when we screw them to each other. Already learned about.

I did see on Youtube someplace that it's best to run a bead of glue I think they said 3/4 down from the top, so when you slide the panel in, the glue pushes down the rest of the way and not out the bottom.

One thing we are wondering, we are using our brad nailer for the inside cabinet ends, but the 2 that are stained and on the ends, it was said to "toenail" the ends so you don't see the nails.
Trying to figure out exactly what they mean by that.
Does it mean angle the nail in so you don't see it as much?

Five of the cabinets I am painting, I won't have to worry about that since I can fill in the pin hole and paint it, nothing will show.

The other thing I want to do as long as we are installing lower cabinets, is to find some way to put in toekick drawers. Might as well do it now before the cabinets actually get installed onto the base wall.

Any suggestions where to purchase those?
Old 02-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #5

here is a video that shows why they don't need the clamps at the time of gluing them together.

hmm, can't get the youtube video to post?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZzMs...=share&index=2

Last edited by DIY-Her; 02-21-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #6

oh wait, noticed the difference in nailing. unexposed sides, nail the sides to the back.

exposed sides, toenail the back to the sides
Sometimes it takes twice to watch a video to get what they mean lol
Old 02-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 120

I've never once glued cabinets together, just used screws.
Having a hard time imaging why someone would buy brand new cabinets and then paint them. May as well have bought used cabinets and saved some money.
Using clamps like this will hold both the face frame and the cabinets flat and flush.
http://www.amazon.com/Pony-8510BP-Ca...s=cabinet+claw

And yes toe nailing is nailing at an angle.
DIY-Her (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #8

you buy cabinets from a company and they paint them and ship them, so why wouldn't a home owner buy cabinets and paint them?
I'm buying 2 island cabinets to extend what we have in hard maple paint grade since I am painting them, it won't make a difference.
I don't want cheap unmatched all different style doors, put together differently cabinets
Take a look at my album and you can see what I painted so far. All the lowers against the L-shaped wall are going to be Cherry stained.
All the uppers and the island are going to be painted.
The island counter is going to be black walnut from a company in Georgia.

http://www.diychatroom.com/members/d...ing-2012-2014/

The links you gave to the clamps are exactly what I figured we needed.
We have clamps from a previous project, but they have really long 3-4feet and won't work for this project. Will have to go purchase the ones you showed.

All the lower cabinets that are still in decent enough shape, are going into my basement to be used for my framing studio, so are not going to waste.
3 of the cabinets are being tossed because of bad water damage, they were MDF sides and bottoms.
We are purchasing all plywood boxes this time around.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #9

these cabinets do not have screws. All the cabinet makers and woodworkers I know either online and some personally, I know use glue even if they have screws in some parts and brad nails.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #10

as for buying any old cabinet to save money since I was painting them, would not work.
We have specific sizes that have to fit into the floor plan we already have because we are not rearranging the setup. Made a few changes on one side because we added a 15" cabinet for a pull out trash bin, and added a 38" sink cabinet instead of the 36" that is there because we are buying a larger silgranit sink
Old 02-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #11

Open one cabinet at a time. Have some wood glue handy. You'll get the hang of it after the first few
stonelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stonelayer For This Useful Post:
DIY-Her (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #12

thanks, I heard that too about opening one at a time from the cabinet maker.
They say check the boxes for shipping damage if there is any, call them within 10 days.
Then we have 30 days to put the cabinets together and if we notice parts missing with any cabinet, stop putting it together, take it apart, put it back in the box and make note what is missing. Then go on to the next cabinet. Just give them a call with the cabinet # which included the width & height.