Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Retile bathroom questions

My parents bathroom is in rather bad condition. I was thinking of retiling it for them. I was just wondering how much work would be involved. Would it be better to hire a professional? Since the old tiles are loose and some have fallen off I can't tile over them. This is a picture of the worst area. If you need a better quality picture let me know. Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hypochondriac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #2

It all depends on how handy you are. You would have to remove the tiles and drywall to the studs. Now if you only have a small portion of wall that the tiles are coming off and you can match the existing tile then remove that section and put new cement board and matching tile.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
It all depends on how handy you are. You would have to remove the tiles and drywall to the studs. Now if you only have a small portion of wall that the tiles are coming off and you can match the existing tile then remove that section and put new cement board and matching tile.
Ok, can you recommend a site or book that tell you how to replace the tiles and remove/add cement board? Even though that's the only area where the tiles are falling down. I have a feeling if AI remove more tiles I will see damage cement board
Old 08-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #4

you can look over these: http://ca.search.yahoo.com/search;_y...fp-t-715&rd=r1
Old 08-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #5

Watching the videos but so far they all seem to be about placing the tiles on an existing wall. Nothing about fixing a damaged wall. Another quick question. One cement board won't be thick enough. I mean if I remove all the lose stuff I have have probably 1 or more inches of spaces. What am I supposed to fill that with?

Last edited by Hypochondriac; 08-20-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #6

Take a look at these:
Old 08-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
Take a look at these:
Thanks, but the video doesn't apply to me. It's not drywall that I need to fix. From my understanding, old homes had a cement/concrete back that was built up using cement. Newer homes used a concrete backer board or dry wall to attach the tiles to. So you could simply remove the damaged board and replace it with a new one. It looks like the cement is damaged because when I remove the lose stuff I can go about 2" inside the wall.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 2

Phew!

I just tore apart my shower. It had been fixed like you propose doing to yours. Someone had removed a section of wall, inserted a piece of CBU, and retiled.
If you go this route, keep in mind this is going to be a temporary fix as it is durn near impossible to get it waterproof at the repair line. This is what had happened to mine. Water had soaked through, around the repair.

Since mine is on a fiberglass base, I am going to keep the base, replace the walls, and retile. If yours is the same, you might be able to do the same depending on how the walls are constructed. And I'm not expecting it to be easy. Tiling is labor intensive - knowledgeable experts earn their money!

If your floor is tiled too, it would be safest to forget trying to patch it, and plan on replacing the whole thing.

As you probably noticed, things looked fine until one tile fell off. Then after poking around you begin to realize the extent of water damage behind the wall.
If you repair this improperly and water continues to get behind the repair, you will just be hiding a worsening problem.

Unfortunately there is no easy solution.

Check out this thread (and Bud's blog) if you want to retile.

Preparation for Tiling??

Last edited by Blondesense; 08-23-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Phew!

Since mine is on a fiberglass base, I am going to keep the base, replace the walls, and retile. If yours is the same, you might be able to do the same depending on how the walls are constructed.
Thanks for the advice, not sure what base I have. Thanks for linking to the thread it was informative. My main problem is I think I have a mud wall behind the tiles, not sure where the studs even are. Like I said earlier if I remove the damaged mud wall There will be 2" of space which I need to will before I can tile otherwise the transition from wall to tile will be terrible. Hope this picture explains it. As you can see once I remove all the backing unless I build it up exactly right the tiles will be further back then the rest of the wall. I'm confused as to how to compensate for the 2" I will be clearing since backer board is about .5"
Old 08-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 2

Is the floor of your shower tiled or a solid surface?
How about a pic that shows how the shower floor meets the wall.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote