Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Share |

Replacing tub surround

I am retiling my tub surround and have a couple questions. For where the cement board meets in an inside corner do I just fibertape and thinset like other seams? Currently my tile surround is old 3/8 drywall with 3/8 of plaster with tile on top. For shimming out the cement board can I get by with the drywall shimming strips that are dense cardboard or do I need to make wood furring strips because of the weight of the cement board?

I also have questions on how to join where the drywall meets the tile. I have attached a picture. Should the cement board go all the way to the bullnose or is it okay to stop the cement board about and inch of the bullnose and have that last inch be behind the plaster. The bullnose extended beyond the shower.

My shower also has a slanted tile ceiling to goes into a roof line. The tileshop says the thinset they sell is strong enough that I won't have to brace the ceiling but what is people's past experience? Should it be braced?

bryanp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #2

Replacing tub surround

Can't read most of your post because of the damn ads.

Do your corners with fibertape and thinset, then waterproof.

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Replacing tub surround

Regular cardboard drywall shims are fine. Follow the backerboard fastening schedule. Mesh backerboard tape and thinset then waterproof as cleveman said. You can use a good nonsag thinset just fine depending on the tile. If they are big heavy tiles, put a ring of thinset around the edges after backbuttering. It will create a kind of vacuum helping to hold the tile up. You should keep the backerboard back from the bullnose edge. The thinset will work just fine on the plaster/drywall.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #4

Replacing tub surround

Okay thanks. What about thin set and grout. The tileshop recommended probond no sag and I saw Home Depot has a versabond product about half the price. If I have to tile a slanted ceiling which product is better? For grout the tileshop recommended using flexible add mixture. What are people's experience with the dad mix for grout?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #5

Replacing tub surround

I've never heard of probond. Versabond is a minimally modified thinset. Its OK for floors and basic wall tiles but I wouldn't use it on the ceiling. I personally use Laticrete 4-xlt for nonsag applications. I don't like add mixtures. You can get perfectly good grout without adding crap to it. If it needs it, it isn't good grout IMO. I use Laticrete Permacolor or Spectralock. Permacolor is easy to work with and dries evenly.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #6

Replacing tub surround

Where are you purchasing it? I don't see it at any big box stores, ace hardware. Probond is what is sold at the tileshop.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #7

Replacing tub surround

I go to century tile but I think they are only in the Chicagoland area. Laticrete is a huge worldwide company so they have to have distributors in Milwaukee. You can use their website and search by zipcode. If you are going for a surface waterproofing, their Hydroban liquid is also a great product BTW. Not trying to be a shill for them but they just have great easy to use products.
The Following User Says Thank You to iminaquagmire For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-07-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #8

Replacing tub surround

Doesn't look like I have anyplace within 25 miles that will sell directly to me. Any other second choice brands?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #9

Replacing tub surround

At home deput they have flex bond thinset by custom. His would that be for a ceiling? They also have a thinset by custom for marble and granite if that would work better
Old 04-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #10

Replacing tub surround

It really depends on the size and material of your tiles. You may be just fine with Versabond or you may need a highly modified premium mortar. Never used the flexbond or marble and granite but neither is non-sag. Flexbond is going to be the best you'll get from Home Depot. Some Lowes carry Mapei products which does offer a non-sag if needed, though Lowes may not carry that particular product.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #11

Replacing tub surround

I am going to be using 9x 12 ceramic tiles. Looks like my lowes only shows grey in the website for non-sag and I need white. How about TEC ultimate? Menards has that available.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:44 PM   #12

Replacing tub surround

Never used TEC but that looks fine.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #13

Replacing tub surround

Okay thanks. We are doing a small strip of
Mosaic that's a mix of different tiles. Some are glass. Can I use that same thin set?