Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #1

Share |

Replacing shower faucet

I have an Allen Co. single shower faucet installed in my shower stall. It leaks whenever I try to turn it on. I've read that it could be something as simple as a cartridge. I would love to simply replace it but from what I've gathered online it's not as simple as "generic cartridges" therein lies my problem since Allen Co. is a very obscure company. So my backup plan is to replace the shower faucet entirely and install a more reputable company like Moen or Delta, etc. My question is whether I can simply remove the old hardware (Allen Co) that's there and easily install the new hardware (Moen/Delta)? I've read on some sites that I would need to gain access to the back of the tub which means cutting a piece of my wall out and that seems like too much trouble for someone with as little experience as I. Any thoughts?

tl;dr Wondering how easy it is to replace Allen Co. shower faucet for more common faucet brand. Nightmare/Heavenly?

Sketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
DIY staff

Replacing shower faucet

Changing out a tub mixer valve requires opening the wall--then some soldering to attach the new valve to the two water lines--the tub spout line and the shower head riser pipe.

Post a link to the Allen mixer repair instructions--I never heard of that brand---someone here may know if replacing the cartridge is difficult or not.---Mike----

Old 08-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #3

Replacing shower faucet

Hey Mike. Thanks for your response. I guess that's what I'm somewhat confused about. In order to change brands do I need to replace the shower valve? Or can I simply buy a new, different, brand and just pop it into place?

Also, are shower cartridges universal or brand specific? Because I don't think I'll be able to find another one for www.theallenco.net
Sketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
DIY staff

Replacing shower faucet

Old 08-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
DIY staff

Replacing shower faucet

Here are some images I copied from google--this is what the actual valve looks like--and the piping that makes it work.

As you can see--repairing the existing one will be easier if the parts are available---
Old 08-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
DIY staff

Replacing shower faucet

Sketch---I looked at the Allen site---the cartridge looks easy to change---Call Allen--get the parts and we can walk you through it or you can call a plumber and have the work done---