Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2010, 04:56 AM   #1

Share |

Replacing parts of a kitchen

Hi all

My first post here, I hope it is in the right place!

My wife and I are moving into our first home, a 2 bedroom flat which doesn't need much doing to it, but the kitchen is around 20 years old.

We want to replace most of it, but the cabinets are actually very good quality so really want to avoid replacing them with cheap ones (working on a limited budget). The main aim is to keep the cabinets, paint them white/off white and pretty much replace everything else, including appliances. We want to replace the worktop with a wood effect work surface so that we can give it a country kitchen feeling.

So what I really want to know is, what is the best way to go about this? The whole kitchen is integrated, so will it be an issue to try and replace the appliances while keeping the cabinets in tact?

I guess there are 2 things I'm looking for advice on, the first being will these appliances come out OK, and the second being how difficult is it to get the cabinets looking like a country kitchen?

Here are the pics of the current kitchen:

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/579/15706458.jpg

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/5623/56356465.jpg

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/733/45718533.jpg

and this is the kind of look we're going for:

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/5...rktoplarge.jpg

If I've not made myself clear please let me know, I tend to drivel on if I'm not sure what I'm talking about!

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

NB: We have budgeted about 2,000 for appliances and 500 for work surface/sink/taps/tiles and we'll need someone to install it all.
LilDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:12 AM   #2

Nice looking kitchen, actually. Can't say about appliances on the other side of the pond, but in the US, appliances are pretty standard and easily replaced, although some may need wiring upgrades. Painting cabinets can change the look dramatically and there are so many painting styles that you are limited only by imagination. Faux finishes, applicaction techniques, etc., are numerous, ranging from smooth factory sprayed on finishes, to brushed old country look.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
the Musigician

I really like the cabs you have now. If it were me, I'd save a few thousand and refinish what you already have.
Pick a new color if you wish a different look. If you decide to install new, can you send me the old ones? Po)

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I really like the cabs you have now. If it were me, I'd save a few thousand and refinish what you already have.
Pick a new color if you wish a different look. If you decide to install new, can you send me the old ones? Po)

DM
Thanks for the replies! We went back to the flat and are actually leaning towards getting a completely new kitchen in. The appliances would come out without too much trouble, but we're thinking of adding some new cabinets and worktops to give us a bit more space. We also noticed that the inside of the cabs were quite obviously old, as in faded and I guess we're just being fussy but we'd like a new one! It is a lot more expensive, and although freshening up the cabs and doors would be really fun, we reckon just getting it all new would give us peace of mind. Hope it's not the wrong decision and we're not throwing money away!
LilDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
the Musigician

So I guess this means I don't get the old ones, huh? Oh well....

DM
Old 04-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
So I guess this means I don't get the old ones, huh? Oh well....

DM
they would need to be installed on the other side of the room in USA... :D
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
the Musigician

Oh yeah, that's right! Never mind then.....

DM
Old 04-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #8

you may be able to sell the cabs and appliances to off set your new costs