Replacing Kitchen Cabinets, Need Tips And Tricks - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

Replacing kitchen cabinets, need tips and tricks

Well, we have nice new cabinets packed into our dining room waiting to be installed. I will be pulling the old ones out tomorrow night, touching up the walls on Friday and installing on the weekend.

I have never done this before and am scratching my head about a few things...

The old sink base has two 1" holes for the incoming copper. But above that the rest of the copper, water hammer ballast things and the shutoffs are all above that. I would need to cut large holes in the base in order to get it over the top. What do people usually do? Cut the copper and then sweat it back in after the new cabinet is in?

How long of screws do I need? I picked up 2 1/2" cabinet screws, but I dont think they will be long enough for our peninsula area when the cabinets are hanging from the soffit.

Any other tips and tricks out there that might help? I'm sure I'll have some more questions as I go along. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #2

This might be a dumb question? How do I tell which side is up? The 18x30 wall cab I pulled out of the box looks pretty much symmetrical. I know which way we need it to open so I can figure it out, but is there a way to tell?

By the way, the cabs came with decent looking 2.5" cabinet screws so that was a nice bonus.

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Roll out trays and drawer base cabinets are the better option for renovating your kitchen.
mathewross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewross View Post
Roll out trays and drawer base cabinets are the better option for renovating your kitchen.

We did this on the pantry piece. The old one we're replacing didnt have any roll outs and it had way too much wasted space. I might have to add it to a few of the base cabs.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Tips and tricks.....

Pilot drill and countersink your face frame screws.

Shim behind cabinets to hold face frames flush.

Rubber padded squeeze clamps help hold faces flush and don't leave marks.

Label your doors and boxes with numbers, letters, etc so it's easier to pit doors back on.

My cabinets had a sticker inside with writing....that's how I figured out "up"!!

Make sure you hit at least one stud per cabinet....preferably two.

If I can come up with anything else I'll try to post back.

I just did an entire kitchen gut to electrical trim last month
Doorman54 is offline   Reply With Quote