Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Replacement Hinge

Our cabinets have the Blum 80850-L1 hinge. It is totally hidden when the doors are closed. Is there a replacement available?

Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #2

Replacement Hinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Our cabinets have the Blum 80850-L1 hinge. It is totally hidden when the doors are closed. Is there a replacement available?
Check out the Blum Website.
Ron
Are you sure this is a Blum hinge? Blum has this pattern for it's hinges:
12A 1234

Last edited by Ron6519; 03-06-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #3

Replacement Hinge

Dear Ron6519:

Thanks for the comments.
Quote:
Are you sure this is a Blum hinge?
The hinge is over 20 years old. Did Blum change the way they marked their hinges during that time?

Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. When the hinge is removed from the door there is a lower case blum cast in raised letters on the back of the largest part of the hinge. Underneath, the numbers 80850 are cast in a raised background. There may be a , between the 80 and the 850. After the 850 there are two more characters, the last character is definitely a one.

So... I just took out another hinge and the thing between the 80 and 850 is clearly a . and the next-to-last character is an E. Or maybe a L or a 6, nah, it is an E. The casting is a little faint here.

DW suggested pulling the second hinge, bless her.

What do you think?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
old guy contractor

Replacement Hinge

Tell DW to go get the camera so we can see it.....
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #5

Replacement Hinge

Thanks to Ron6519 and DW, I have removed a second hinge from the door. Comparing the two, it is easy to see where the first hinge failed.

The metal of the casting in the door has worn away around the bottom end of the steel hinge pin. It looks like I should have been lubricating all of the pivots somehow.

Perhaps a needle oiler could be used to get some oil into the space between the swinging arm and the pin on the top. Then the door would have to be raised to get some oil into the bottom pin area.

(There are two more pivots in the pocket of the hinge in the door and four more on the cabinet side. Wow, these hinges are complex!)

Lets see now, 20 years without lubricating... add oil and perhaps 100 years. . . Ten minutes of work for the whole little kitchen to add lube. . . Sounds like it is worth it.

I would imagine that most people can afford to replace their cabinets sooner than that; the decision by Blum to make them without bushings or bearings seems justified.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #6

Replacement Hinge

There are 2 ways you can proceed with this. One, contact Blum and see if you can get the current conversion hinge and replace the pair on the door. Or two, tell us what type of door setup you have and we can suggest a replacement.
You would tell us:
1 Framed or frameless cabinets
2 Full overlay doors(cover the entire frame)
Partial overlay( covers part of the frame)
Inset(where the door sits within the frame)
3 Distance from the edge of the door to the 35mm hole where the hinge gets seated(the offset)

Now they have clip ons where the door clips to the frame piece. No fiddling with screws. They have self close and self close with blumotion(a soft close)

Ron
Old 03-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #7

Replacement Hinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
Tell DW to go get the camera so we can see it.....
Is this what you need?Replacement Hinge-img_1153-1.jpg

This photo shows the back of the casting that fits into the door socket. The broken hinge is on the right. More photos of the broken hinge are available if needed.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 03-12-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #8

Replacement Hinge

A picture of an intact hinge would be good.
And one of the cabinets.
And answers to the other questions.
Ron
Old 03-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #9

Replacement Hinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
There are 2 ways you can proceed with this. One, contact Blum and see if you can get the current conversion hinge and replace the pair on the door. Or two, tell us what type of door setup you have and we can suggest a replacement.
You would tell us:
1 Framed or frameless cabinets
Partial overlay( covers part of the frame)
Inset(where the door sits within the frame)
3 Distance from the edge of the door to the 35mm hole where the hinge gets seated(the offset)

Now they have clip ons where the door clips to the frame piece. No fiddling with screws. They have self close and self close with blumotion(a soft close)

Ron
Since the hinge broke late in the evening I have not heard back from Blum. So, plan A is still working.

As far as the questions are concerned. I'm not sure what frameless is but here goes...

Quote:
1 Frameless cabinets
(I think.) The cabinet's left side is the right side of the adjacent cabinet. But, the hinge is fitted in a semicircular cut-out in a vertical strip behind the doors. So, I'm really not sure.

Quote:
Yes the door covers everything. There is just a little gap between doors. Nothing else shows of the cabinets when the doors are closed.

Quote:
The distance between the edge of the door and the hole is 1mm. The hole is 40mm diameter X ~13mm deep. FWIW, the door is 16mm thick.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 03-12-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #10

Replacement Hinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
A picture of an intact hinge would be good.
And one of the cabinets.
And answers to the other questions.
Ron
First photo is the good hinge seen from the front.
Second is the slightly bent cabinet end of the broken hinge with dust from the casting on the side
Third is the adjacent cabinet door with the camera crooked
Fourth is the bottom cabinet end of the good lower hinge again with dust from the casting on the side

Does this help?
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement Hinge-img_1156.jpg   Replacement Hinge-img_1157.jpg   Replacement Hinge-img_1158.jpg   Replacement Hinge-img_1159.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #11

Replacement Hinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Since the hinge broke late in the evening, I have not heard back from Blum. So, plan A is still working.

As far as the questions are concerned. I'm not sure what frameless is but here goes...

(I think.) The cabinet's left side is the right side of the adjacent cabinet. But, the hinge is fitted in a semicircular cut-out in a vertical strip behind the doors. So, I'm really not sure.

Yes the door covers everything. There is just a little gap between doors. Nothing else shows of the cabinets when the doors are closed.

The distance between the edge of the door and the hole is 1mm. The hole is 40mm diameter X ~13mm deep. FWIW, the door is 16mm thick.

So, where does that leave me?
The diameter of current Blum hinges is 35 mm( or 1 3/8"). I'm not aware of any hinges at 40mm.
The doors you have close together with no separation of wood between them?
You need to know framed from frameless. Look it up on the internet and compare the pictures to your cabinets..
Ron
Old 03-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #12

Replacement Hinge

Quote:
The diameter of current Blum hinges is 35 mm( or 1 3/8"). I'm not aware of any hinges at 40mm.
The doors you have close together with no separation of wood between them?
You need to know framed from frameless. Look it up on the internet and compare the pictures to your cabinets..
(You're comments and questions are helping a bunch.)

I read part of http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...frameless.html. It is way to long to read the whole thing. However, even better is this drawing from www.tonyscustomcabinets.com/ frame_or_frameless.

It seems as though the cabinets are Face-frame. There is a strip on the sides to which the hinges are attached. There are also strips at the top and bottom of the doors.

There is a tiny space between the doors else they collide when opened. The pivoting of the door closes the gap slightly on the hinge side when opening. The door hits the wall on the end cabinet when the hinges get loose. The hinges get loose about every ten months or so. (Do you think some thread-locker would help?)

What are my options now?
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement Hinge-frameframeless2.26115832.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #13

Replacement Hinge

What do you think of gluing the hinge pin into the casting's barrels? I'm thinking about using "LoctiteŽ Super Glue Professional". Though, 40 years ago super-glue was temporary, and I have been shy of using it since.
If the steel barrel is greased-up to keep the glue out of the pivot area the glue would hold the pin in the barrel of the casting.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 03-06-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #14

Replacement Hinge

The Blum website has a compatibility section where you will fill in all the specs. of the cabinets and the doors. Such as door thickness, overlay dimensions, etc and then they will tell you the hinge you need.
Start by clicking on the "Consumer" section.
Take your time and be accurate or the hinge won't be the correct one. With joining doors, you don't have much leeway in adjustment, side to side.
Ron
Just saw the pictures. It looks like a Compact hinge. Never saw it notched into the frame before.

Last edited by Ron6519; 03-06-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #15

Replacement Hinge

The glue is working for now.
We received an e-mail from Blum. It is encouraging to hear from them. The want a photo or hinge. I sent a link to this thread.