Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Replace window in shower with glass blocks

I am remodeling a bathroom and there is currently a standard wood frame window on the back wall. I want to take this window out and replace it with glass blocks. Have a few questions.

Do I rip out the whole window down to the framing?

What do I do about ensuring it stays waterproof? Everything I've seen says to build it in a wood frame. Do I just do that and then paint the frame with waterproofer?

Do I set the glass flush with where the tile will be on the inside? (I suppose this would eliminate alot of the concern about waterproofing?)

organick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
I am remodeling a bathroom and there is currently a standard wood frame window on the back wall. I want to take this window out and replace it with glass blocks. Have a few questions.

Do I rip out the whole window down to the framing?
Yes

Quote:
What do I do about ensuring it stays waterproof? Everything I've seen says to build it in a wood frame. Do I just do that and then paint the frame with waterproofer?
You need to flash it

Quote:
Do I set the glass flush with where the tile will be on the inside? (I suppose this would eliminate alot of the concern about waterproofing)
Glass should be flush with the wood frame

This is a tricky DIY project. I suggest you use a professional because there are a lot of variables. Especially if the exterior of the house is brick.

KlintP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlintP View Post
Yes

You need to flash it

with what? protecto wrap?

Glass should be flush with the wood frame

This is a tricky DIY project. I suggest you use a professional because there are a lot of variables. Especially if the exterior of the house is brick.

The exterior is not brick. its wood siding. Whats that tricky about it as long I make sure the blocks fit right and seal everything properly?
Old 09-25-2009, 11:51 PM   #4

did mean to sound smart a**ed just not sure why it that tricky.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
The exterior is not brick. its wood siding. Whats that tricky about it as long I make sure the blocks fit right and seal everything properly?
Siding makes it an easier project than if you had brick.

The tricky part is flashing them correctly to prevent window leak.

Just be sure to seal the window correctly. A lot of times glass block windows don't have flanges (you can't screw the window from the outside - you have to screw it in from the frame on the inside) so be sure to use window wrap and flash the window correctly.
KlintP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #6

whats the best way to flash it if it has no flange? Just flash over the frame edges on the outside?
Old 10-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #7

ok, finally getting to this project. I am going to order a pre fab vinyl replacement glassblock window from pittsburgh/corning. I am going to have to add wood bucks to the framing to get the width right for the new window. My question is I have 2 options on it The current window has a rough opening (sash weighted style window) of 23 15/16 wide and the options for the replacement call for either 17 5/8 or 23 5/8. I can do either but I want the outside to look as close to consistent with the rest of the house as possible. It has board and batten siding and 4 inch trim around it. So my question is Do I go with the slightly larger window and just trim down the trim a little or go with the smaller window and add trim inside the current trim? I am leaning towards the larger window but wanted any ideas? The current trim basically has to stay in place on its outer edges because it fits into the battens... Any thoughts?