Replace Bathtub... What About The Tiles? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Smile

Replace Bathtub... What About The Tiles?

Hello All!!!

I have a bathtub that is surrounded by tiles. The tub needs to be replaced. Does whomever I hire have to remove the tiles to take out the bathtub? If so, does that mean I need to redo all the tiles in my bathroom or just the ones he removes? (I was also wondering if they would just have to remove the first "row" of tiles, the ones that are directly on top of the tub?)

Thanks!

Advertisement

tackyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,304

Usually about a foot above is removed---and six inches to a foot in front of the tub.

Most people would replace the entire tile wall----the tile is stuck to a backer board--so that will be removed along with the tile face----

It's very difficult to patch the walls and have the job look good----budget will be your deciding factor..---Mike----

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Usually about a foot above is removed---and six inches to a foot in front of the tub.

Most people would replace the entire tile wall----the tile is stuck to a backer board--so that will be removed along with the tile face----

It's very difficult to patch the walls and have the job look good----budget will be your deciding factor..---Mike----
Well, that makes my decision easy! Replace all the tiles and the tub!

What about the glass door and frame mechanism? Can that be removed and put back?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #4

I also have another question that is probably impossible to get answered but I will try!

What should I expect to pay for someone to re-tile my bathroom? It is very small (I live in a 630 sq ft condo). I will buy the tub and the tiles myself so I am just looking for a labor cost.

Here are some pics of my bathroom:

BTW... notice the yellow spot at the bottom of my tub? This is why I have to replace it. I used to have a very heavy roommate and she somehow "dented" the tub. Now the water doesn't drain completely and it stagnates in a pool right there and eventually the tub at that spot turns yellow. :O

Thanks!

Last edited by tackyjan; 09-21-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #5

I would charge no less than 500 labor to do that job, but around here that's cheap. Location can vary pricing.
FTF-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,304

Yep---pricing varies by area----for a skilled pro to add new cement backer---waterproof the backer and set the tile--then grout and caulk---
Just the tub surround---no floor or other wall work?? Guessing about $1000 to $1200

You need to ask locally----prices here are higher than Kansas or Georgia---and less than New York city!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 778

Have you looked at me of these tub relining companies? They actually put a complete insert into your existing tub. I've seen some that looked very nice and it's certainly much simpler. You could even keep your old tiles without a problem.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

By the way things look, you'd be better off to just gut everything out and start over. Nothing against people that weigh a ton, it is possible that the tub shifted that led to the tub not properly drain.

In most cases where a new tub is installed, the laborer sures up the support underneath the tub as needed.

The glass door will be hard to reuse. It is possible, but can get tricky to put back. Usually we just replace with new unit altogether.

With a house over the age of 20 years, the joists can sag. As for saving the existing tiles, just know that the tiles will crack very easily during this work.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by oodssoo; 09-21-2012 at 07:25 PM.
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 562

Check locally for a company that does bathtub liners.

My in-laws used Bathfitter and it turned out great. Fixed their problems and has lasted several years (glass doors were removed and reinstalled).

In your case there would probably be no need to remove any tiles, and the glass doors would most likely be able to be removed and reinstalled.

It's worth checking into...
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
Check locally for a company that does bathtub liners.

My in-laws used Bathfitter and it turned out great. Fixed their problems and has lasted several years (glass doors were removed and reinstalled).

In your case there would probably be no need to remove any tiles, and the glass doors would most likely be able to be removed and reinstalled.

It's worth checking into...
It seems like a remodeling is in the works, rather than restoration. I mean, if I were to critique the bathroom based on the photos, a new age look wouldn't increase the usability of the room and increase overall the quality of the house..
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodssoo View Post
It seems like a remodeling is in the works, rather than restoration. I mean, if I were to critique the bathroom based on the photos, a new age look wouldn't increase the usability of the room and increase overall the quality of the house..
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this comment? It seems like bathfitter will provide a reasonably priced alternative without changing the look of the room. I'm not sure what you mean by new age look because that's not what bathfitter does.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

I would not recomend going with bathfitter.

Nothing wrong with an acrylic tub surround- However better to demo and change any plumbing like the shower valve as well as the tub. Then you know the bathroom is new, opposed to just an old one covered up with plastic. (this is what bathfitter does) An acrylic tub surround is easy to put up, and it would not take too long to demo the old tub surround and take that tub out.

Plus the rates they charge it will probably be cheaper to have it demo-ed and tiled, and would definitely be cheaper to pay a competent contractor/handyman to demo and install an acrylic tub surround.

Bathfitter puts lipstick on a pig, and they charge a hefty amount to do it. I've taken apart their work, their liners just cover the old walls, often mould and all.

Advertisement

Last edited by chrisBC; 09-22-2012 at 09:05 PM.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisBC For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-25-2012)