Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #1

Share |

Repairing Shower Grout

Hello. I want to redo the grout on my shower floor. Background info: My tile is 3 & 7/8 inch square and is ceramic. The spacing between the tiles is over an eight of an inch and they used sanded grout. The walls of the shower are in excellent condition and look like new. However, the grout on the floor had some orange discoloration and some grout lines had been worn partially away by water. There wasn't any loose material or any cracks that I could see nor any slime, tho. Using a DEP grout hand tool I scrapped away the discoloration and evened out the worn grout parts. I want to add some new grout to raise the level of the worn away grout. But now I read that new sanded grout won't adhere to old sanded grout and that my best bet is to remove as much of the grout as possible so as to give the new grout more tile to grab onto. Since this sounds logical, how far down should I go? IF I go deep enough I figure I'll reach the thinset but I'm concerned about damaging that If I go too deep (is that an issue?). Also, should I also remove the undamaged part of the old floor grout as well and redo the entire floor? I'd like advice from someone who has experience doing this type of repair. Also, I've read that Berylex can help with adhesion of the new sanded grout. Any input is much appreciated. Thank you. Joe

joefromcal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grout berylex tile shower