Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #1

Share |

Removing tile from a shower stall that has an exterior wall... need help

I'm a complete noob about tile removal, but I've been watching and reading a lot and think I'm ready to start re-doing my shower stall. I've taken a chisel and taken out some of the ceramic tile. After watching the videos I expected to find a pretty clear backerboard, but instead found what I wasn't expecting...

My home is CBC construction (about 30 year old home), and when I started chipping off tiles I found the that the backing chipped off much further back than expected. I'm pretty sure I'm chipping into plaster but am not sure. Please see the pictures here.. Do I need to replaster the wall?

What am I dealing with here? Do I need to stop doing what I'm doing? When I go to install backboard in the stall, what do I do about this wall? I can't find advice about tiling against an exterior facing wall like this.

Last edited by Mattitude; 06-29-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Mattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #2

if it were me = i would rip out all of that, down to the studs. and then use Kerdi to redo it all. i am ripping down P&L walls right now. once you figure out how to do it, its not that bad. and you have a small area there. i am doing most of a house, but not the ceilings.

i cannot speak for what insulation to put behind the wall, but someone may comment on that for you.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply! As an update almost everything is ripped out. I'm not sure if the pics showed but the shower is below grade so i'm not down to the concrete foundation. Everything was plasted with a 1" or so plaster. I'm repacing it with a 1/2" concrete backerboard. For the below grade shower area, do I need a shower pan liner? I haven't ripped it out yet, but I'm pretty sure the floor is a slopped grade towards drain. I'd like to just keep that and not have to regrade anything.

As far as insulation - there is no room for insulation on the exterior wall - the plaster wall (and soon to be backerboard) was just screwed to some wood which was attached to the exterior wall.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
DIY staff

Once the pan is stripped--let us know what you find---

IF it's sloped---and the drain and P-trap are right for your new tile thickness---

You may be a candidate for a paint on waterproofing--

Go to Latacrete--look at Hydroban----

Let us see the demoed pan---
Old 07-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #5

Thanks guys! I'm off to buy an air chisel hammer, getting the tile and plaster off of the below grade area is excruciating with a chisel and hammer.

Here are some more pictures, let me know thoughts: http://imgur.com/a/lVS3m
Old 07-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #6

Any thoughts on how I should go about smoothing the surface? I stronlg suspect I won't be able to get it perfect. Also, my window ledge seems to have some spots of concrete or plaster that is not chipping off, so I was considering laying about 1/2" of quickset so that it is all even. Is that logical?
Old 07-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
DIY staff

Feather Finish by Ardex is a good patch material and can be troweled on very thin when needed---