Removing Laminated Countertop - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing laminated countertop

Hi, trying to do a DIY by removing my old laminated countertop and installing a fresh one. My problem is the horizontal portion is screwed from below thru the base cabinets - for which I have no problems - can un-screw it. Also, can remove the plumbing connections and remove the drop-in sink (stainless steel) too. However, there's a separate backsplash which is attached into the wall behind on 2 sides and the countertop goes UNDERNEATH the splash on 1 side. I can't figure out how to go about removing all this. Any leads - appreaciated.

Advertisement

baivab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The backsplash is generally attached to the counter. Remove the screws you see from the bottom, cut any caulk between the backslpash and the wall and it should just slide out. If you feel resistance from the back of the backsplash, slide a taping knife down the back to slice through any caulk or adhesive that was applied. You'll have to go along the entire length to release the caulk.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #3

A picture or 2 would help
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

why are you leaving the splash?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

"why are you leaving the splash?" A good question, I wonder myself. IF you figure out how to remove laminate countertop without removing the backsplash, I may want to read a tutorial on that. I've never been so lucky. Keep us posted, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Chances are good that the backsplash 'on top of' the counter is only siliconed in place.
The backsplashes that are 'behind' the countertop are likely screwed to it.

Knife along the top of all the backsplash, in case it wants to pull the drywall paper off.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks everyone, I had a 4" back splash which was screwed into the counter-top, i.e. on top of it however was also glued into the surrounding wall. I removed the glue using utility knife and some cajoling, lifted off the counter-top and the back-splash came along with it. The condition behind the back-splash is plain - HORRIBLE. I wanted to do tiles there but frankly at a loss on how to clean it out as there are planks, cardboard, etc.etc all glued, screwed, etc.
baivab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baivab View Post
Thanks everyone, I had a 4" back splash which was screwed into the counter-top, i.e. on top of it however was also glued into the surrounding wall. I removed the glue using utility knife and some cajoling, lifted off the counter-top and the back-splash came along with it. The condition behind the back-splash is plain - HORRIBLE. I wanted to do tiles there but frankly at a loss on how to clean it out as there are planks, cardboard, etc.etc all glued, screwed, etc.
Remove the debris down to the studs and install a 1/2" substrate suitible to tile on.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote