Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #1

Share |

Removing Drop Ceiling in Bathroom

I purchased a house on March 1st and I am currently gutting the basement bathroom. It has a drop ceiling (acoustic tiles) and the height is 7 feet. I pushed up some tiles to see how much extra space I have above and it looks like the lowest water line is 3 inches up. I want to take out the drop ceiling and put in drywall.

How do I go about framing around the water pipes to attain the highest ceiling height possible? I assume that I would frame - by adding wood on each side of the pipe off the floor joists - so it is slightly lower than the pipe and use 1/2 inch drywall. This would allow me to gain 2.5 inches to my ceiling height.

Anything else I need to be aware of before I take on this job? I plan on putting an exhaust fan in as well, and wiring it to the light, so that there won't be any mold issues.

Also, the only concern I have with drywalling is losing access to any pipes that in the future may need repair or something may come up. Is this a valid concern? I really don't want to keep the drop ceiling.

Last edited by ashton44; 04-04-2012 at 11:56 AM.
ashton44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, drop ceiling, drywall, mold