Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Removing Corner Shower Tile (with pictures)

Hi Everyone,

I've attached a picture.

I've begun removing the tile from my corner shower. However, I was expecting backer board rather than cement and wire mesh behind the tile.

The home is located in California.

Questions:

1) Right now I am using a chisel to remove the tile. Can anyone suggest a faster or more efficient way of removing the tile and cement?

2) Should the wire mesh stay or go?

Thanks,

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Removing Corner Shower Tile (with pictures)-showertile-cement2.jpg  

JasonCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,944

Just the old way of doing it, pretty common to see it.
And yes it's all got to go back to the studs.
I use A Bosch Bull Dog hammer drill with a tile blade.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Just the old way of doing it, pretty common to see it.
And yes it's all got to go back to the studs.
I use A Bosch Bull Dog hammer drill with a tile blade.
Thanks for your response! And, Great idea! I think I will purchase a hammer tool.

I'm still not sure what to do with this wire mesh though? It would seem like I should not damage it. Am I to remove this wire mesh? I don't see the purpose of keeping it since the concrete is being removed?
Old 03-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,338

Remove the mesh --take everything out until you have bare studs---

A 3 pound hammer---steady light thumps--and the tile concrete and wire will all loosen up--

cut the wire as you go---let us see the job when the old stuff is removed.
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
JasonCA (03-21-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post

A 3 pound hammer---steady light thumps--and the tile concrete and wire will all loosen up--

Thanks mike!

I am resuming beating it down today. So the wire mesh does come out. If you look carefully on the left of the drywall, it looks like the mesh is behind the drywall. Because of that, it gives the appearance that the mesh was added before the drywall was put in place. I could be wrong, especially since I don't know how far back (along the wall) the mesh goes.

Right now I am focused on removing the tile. Then I will remove the concrete.

I'll post pictures as soon as I've gotten a little bit further!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #6

Quote:

Ok, so I've attached an updated picture! Feel free to provide any suggestions or input.

Otherwise, it looks like I have to finish up a bit more and then start removing the wire mesh next.

I am getting there though.
Attached Thumbnails
Removing Corner Shower Tile (with pictures)-tileremoval.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #7
DIY staff

What a job!!

start cutting out the wire---all the rest should come off with the wire.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #8

Quote:
What a job!!

start cutting out the wire---all the rest should come off with the wire.
Your right! It sure did come off quite easily. I had to cut each wire individually and then pull and tug on it until it came loose. The mesh was nailed with special U shape nails to the studs.

Now I am down to the studs.

***Picture Attachment***:

I've attached a picture with the following colors:

1) Blue - Wire mesh that you can still see. This means the wire mesh goes a bit back behind the drywall.

2) Green - This seems to be about where the wire mesh stops. I can run my hand up behind the wall and feel about where it stops.

3) Red - This seems to be about where I maybe should cut the drywall? It would seem that I will have to remove the drywall to remove the rest of the wire mesh. So the red seems to be a rough starting point to how far back I should cut the drywall.

As you can see, most of the studs visible in the picture has the longest width perpendicular to the drywall. However, in-between the pink lines you'll see there is a stud that is shaped like a T. The top of the T runs parallel with the drywall and there is a second stud behind it perpendicular to it (together this forms a T). The top of the T is what is between the two pink lines (rest of the T stud behind the drywall as you move left). So on the left side of the picture, it would seem I need to at least cut the drywall back past the pink, past the green, and about up to the red? In this way, I would then fully expose the T stud.

However, what about the drywall? Do I eventually put drywall back in up to where it is now? Or do I bring the drywall on the left of the picture all the way back until the midway point of the next stud? This may go further past the red line on the left side of the picture then.

My goal is to re-tile the corner section. I'm not going to make the corner shower any bigger then it originally was.

Right now, I am cleaning up the mess on the ground and then will start working on removing the shower base. I'll get to that soon, but wanted to know what to do about removing the rest of the wire mesh that is still behind the drywall?

If I am to cut the drywall, suggested tool of choice may be?

Thanks!

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Removing Corner Shower Tile (with pictures)-mesh-drywallaroundshower.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #9

It's a nice rainy day in California.

I will use the time to remove that shower pan. Wish me luck!

I'm still not sure what to do about the drywall. If anyone has a response to my last post, that would be great.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
DIY staff

Howdy,--I suspect that you have plaster over gypsum board and not drywall.

You will need a stud where the new cement backer meets the old plaster or drywall---

How far away from the opening is the nearest stud?

Are you tiling all the way to the ceiling?

Is it possib;e to open up the wall to the ceiling in order to add studs?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Howdy,--I suspect that you have plaster over gypsum board and not drywall.

You will need a stud where the new cement backer meets the old plaster or drywall---

How far away from the opening is the nearest stud?

Are you tiling all the way to the ceiling?

Is it possib;e to open up the wall to the ceiling in order to add studs?
1) Not sure what's the difference between gypsum board is? I thought gypsum board was a more natural type of board whereas drywall is more of a manufactured product. If I had gypsum board, I am not sure how to tell the difference. And I am not sure what is more preferable? Great question though!

2) Ok, so where ever my corners of the shower will be, I will need to put a stud between where the old drywall (or gypsum board) meets the newly installed cement backer. I've attached a picture of the upper portion of the corner shower:
2a) My fear of going to high is running up against the top of the ceiling. If I damage the ceiling drywall, then it makes it more challenging to repair and make a perfect corner. But maybe with a few suggestions or viewpoints, it wouldn't be so bad.

2b) Perhaps I can remove the drywall (or gypsum board) above the shower going towards the ceiling, but maybe 2 inches below the ceiling where I have room to insert a stud? This way, I'm not too close to the ceiling but perhaps can still install a stud?

3) In post #8, I would say there is another original stud around the red area. However, it looks like there is another type of T stud between the pink area that is already there.

4) I take it if I wanted to tile to the top, I would need too remove the drywall up to the ceiling? I am still debating if I would want to tile to the ceiling. I may just tile it to where the tile originally was tiled to. This is because there is that T stud that is already there (in-between the pink lines). Seems like a good place to attach the cement backer too. Right now I am just in the demolition phase. I am avoiding tiling to the ceiling in order to avoid messing up the ceiling. But like I said, maybe there is a good way to approach this where I shouldn't worry.
Attached Thumbnails
Removing Corner Shower Tile (with pictures)-uppercornerofshower.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #12

So I have removed the shower base!

It would seem one of the next things I will need to do is break up the concrete near the drain, dig a hole, remove the stem of the drain pipe, and replace it.

So it seems now I have some plumbing work to do.

I suppose putting on a new drain would require me now to start thinking about the type of shower I want. After having read through issues with Tile Ready and how Tile Ready is not so Tile Ready here:

Tile Redi Shower pan question

I have been considering using Schluter Systems Kerdi Shower Kit found here instead:

http://www.schluter.com/8_4_kerdi_shower_kit.aspx

This means, that I would need to get that ordered so I can use the drain that is in that kit. However, I want to put back in a Neo Angle corner shower. But it seems like you can do a lot with a Kerdi shower kit where I can make a Neo Angle corner shower with the kit? I will soon look more into Schluter Systems Kerdi Shower Kit to see if that will work for me.

Right now, I need to finish the demolition phase of things: figure out if I need to replace drywall and get that wire mesh out of the walls.
Attached Thumbnails
Removing Corner Shower Tile (with pictures)-removedshowerbase.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #13
DIY staff

It looks like you have a stud on the left--I couldn't see the right hand side---

How thick is the plaster or drywall ?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:48 AM   #14

Quote:
It looks like you have a stud on the left--I couldn't see the right hand side---

How thick is the plaster or drywall ?

I've attached two pictures.

The first picture is a closeup of the T stud on the right side. However, you really can't see the right side anywhere because the wire mesh and paper comes out more. Here I folded it back more so it can be seen. Not the best of pictures.

Second picture is of the damaged drywall or gypsum and wire mesh. The drywall is measured at 1/2 inch thick.

I've been curious: is it possible to remove the wall drywall while leaving the ceiling drywall in tact? Or, if you remove the wall drywall then you are sort of forced to having to redo the ceiling?
Attached Thumbnails
Removing Corner Shower Tile (with pictures)-rightsidetstud.jpg   Removing Corner Shower Tile (with pictures)-drywall-thickness.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
DIY staff

No need to remove the ceiling if it's okay---the only difficulty might be the neww drywall might not be the same thickness as the old--leaving a wide gap to fill at the new wall/ceiling joint.