Removal Of Formica And Stainless Steel Trim - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removal of Formica and stainless steel trim

We are replacing our 1950ís Formica counter-top and want to keep the same period style. The stainless steel trim is welded/soldered at the joints. Is it reasonable to expect to be able to remove the old stainless steel trim in a re-useable condition? I donít know if it is held on by an adhesive (in which case it might get mangled in the process or removing it) of if it is just fitted on and held in place by the welds. I have found a place on-line that sells this kind of trim, but it would be so much easier to just re-use the old trim if I could get it off without ruining it.
I have seen directions for removing old Formica with a heat gun. Does this work reasonably well, and would it leave a good surface to glue on the new Formica?

Advertisement

Bunburryist2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunburryist2 View Post
We are replacing our 1950’s Formica counter-top and want to keep the same period style. The stainless steel trim is welded/soldered at the joints. I have found a place on-line that sells this kind of trim, but it would be so much easier to just re-use the old trim if I

Is it reasonable to expect to be able to remove the old stainless steel trim in a re-useable condition?
No. Plan to buy new trim.

Quote:
I have seen directions for removing old Formica with a heat gun. Does this work reasonably well, and would it leave a good surface to glue on the new Formica?
No. Plan to buy new plywood.

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
joecaption (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 744

A whole lot faster and easier to just make new tops.
Just trying to remove the old and trim the new would be a nightmare with them in place.