Remodeling Kitchen So That Refrigerator Will Fit. - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Remodeling Kitchen so that Refrigerator will fit.

Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong area.

Few years back my wife and I purchased a new Refrigerator the model we wanted was larger than the older one we were aware of the space being too small in advance it was no big deal at the time. Our kitchen was large enough where we could put the refrigerator across from the spot where the original was at we had a smaller pub table for dining in the kitchen but now we have acquired a new kitchen table that fits our needs for our growing family.

The new refrigerator will fit in the spot as long as the above cabinet is taken out and what looked like a bumped out wall to frame out the kitchen. I determined most of the wall is hollow and looks to be framed out (I also have pictures that will hopefully attach right to this forum). I also tapped a small hole in the drywall so that I could hopefully make sure it is hollow from what it looks like it is mostly hollow with exception of two water pipes going up the wall verified this from going down to the basement. The pipes are deep enough so that the refrigerator will not hit the pipe I would just like some advice or if there is any professional opinion on how to go forward so that I do not mess anything up with removing the wall and also what possible challenges may arise with doing this before i proceed.
Attached Thumbnails
Remodeling Kitchen so that Refrigerator will fit.-photo-2.jpg   Remodeling Kitchen so that Refrigerator will fit.-photo-3-1.jpg   Remodeling Kitchen so that Refrigerator will fit.-photo-1-1.jpg  

Advertisement

jjhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,212

The first thing you need to know is whether this is a load bearing wall or not---so we need a bit more info---

what is above the wall? Is it parallel or perpendicular to the joists above?

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

If you are talking about removing that furred out chase (???) for the pipe, the only way I can see removing that is if you don't care about seeing the pipe. There should be another solution. Post a layout diagram of the space and we'll see what we can figure out. BTW, don't know if you've purchased a new full size (36"W) fridge yet, but the french door models offer more shelf space (and thus more storage) than side by sides with larger cubic feet. It's deceptive if you look just at the numbers, but a 33"W french door will hold more than a 36" SXS. And that might help you with your dilemma.