Relpace / Repairing Silicone Joint In Tile Corner Of Tub Surround - Seeking Advice. - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 79
Question

Relpace / repairing silicone joint in tile corner of tub surround - Seeking advice.

Hi,
To sum it up quick: I would welcome any PROVEN good advice to help me with this repair for silicone removal or replacement materials.

The situation and pictures below if you need more info:

I had to cut out the silicone in a tiled wall corner of a tub surround I built two years ago - because some of the silicone edges pulled back from the tile. The width of the gap ranges from 1/8 to just barely over 1/4 inch and can be the gap can be just over 1/2 deep.

This is porcelain tile (Bonded to Wedi Board with thinset) with mapei sanded grout. The silicone is proving to be difficult as I knew it would.

I am getting mixed comments and there are a ton of products that say they will remove silicone but absolutely won't. Guess I will try acetone next.

The silicone I used is Color sil from Color Rite and is 100% silicone with sand added to improve the texture. I am wondering if I should go a different route if I want the repair to last. (I though of just using sanded grout, but I am afraid it may still settle even though the condo is 8 years old.)

I would welcome any PROVEN good advice to help me with this repair for silicone removal or replacement materials.

There is a film on the left side or tile face side, and the tile edge is also proving difficult to clean because of the angle. Pictures below of the corner, and some of the partial strips of silicone I managed to cut and pull out

You can see the depth of the silicone here.

Thanks

Kevin

This was my first really heavy home project. Made possible though a lot of research and helpful advice from professionals and people - to which I am very grateful.

Feel free to view the whole project, which does not include final drywall repair and painting.

http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/wr...ower%20Project

Advertisement

wraiththe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Relpace / repairing silicone joint in tile corner of tub surround - Seeking advice.

Proven good advice? I dunno.

Try this old thread.

Anyone else here remember Nestor?

Recaulking at previously silicone-caulked shower door frame

Advertisement

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 738

You have all the tools to do the job, it's just going to take time.
All of it needs to go or the new is not going to stick.
I would not be using any chemicals.
DO NOT USE THINSET!
It will just crack.
I'd be using closed cell cording on any really deep spots before the caulking.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 79
Question

Thanks, that was a great link. Wish there were some pics. I am wondering if I am going about it the right way.

This is how it was:

this is how it looked before I cut much of it.

I had chosen to try and make it look like the other grout (top example below, but maybe that was the wrong way of going about it and I should have done it more like the one below?

or perhaps someone else can draw it a little better?

Kevin
wraiththe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
silicone removal , silicone repair , tile corner , tub surround corner