Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Relining Tub and Shower Wall - Estimate too high?

Hello, to all you voices of experience!

I'm new here (very) and am not a DIY-er (well, maybe a little), but I am trying to rent out an apartment in a 100 year old family building, and am starting with the main (but quite small) bathroom. I'm looking at relining the bathtub and shower wall (to be followed by replacing all the other tile work with... um... something else).

I contacted one of those "We re-line in one day" companies, and their rock bottom price for a bare-bones tub reline with accompanying shower wall was around $4,000. I think that's steep, but I really have no idea. I know that I can't do it myself, and I'm worried about any non-professional messing around with the plumbing in a building this old.

The building's plumbing system is pretty much a nightmare from another era that has been patched up with scotch tape, staples, rubber bands, and plumber's putty forever and ever (okay not really, but you get the picture--when something went wrong, a "quick fix" was implemented, apartment owner by apartment owner).

Advice on this quoted price? Other advice?

Thank you so much!

Cindy

Wombatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
DIY staff

That price--I have heard before--so it's about the norm for those people--

Why not do it right and call a bath remodeler or two--

Your plumbing needs to be updated---the walls and tub are shot---Might not cost much more than that hider of a job---

Old 06-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #3

oh. Mike. I mean... oh-apostrophe-mike,

Thanks for your reply. So you think that a full remodel might not be a whole lot more than $4K? The room is quite tiny...

Sadly, and as you and many of you may know, sometimes things need to be done yesterday, and if any of you are professional contractors (and you know who you are), you hear this from clients all the time. And my prospective renters want to move in asap, AND I need the rental income asap as well.

So, can anyone help me out with (and yes, I'm clueless, and embarrassed about it) what the most important criteria are when trying to "interview" a prospective contractor?

I've done a fair amount of research about the "bathroom remodel" process, and it is overwhelming how many things need to be taken into account.

Should I have our "normal" building plumber check out "what's behind that wall" (meaning the bathtub-shower fixture wall) before even proceeding?

(Actually, he's not all that normal--he wears Three Stooges shirts--but that's AWESOME, right?)

I'm learning,

Cindy
Wombatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
DIY staff

I'm a bath remodeler--(among other skills) --talk to your plumber and ask him about how much to change the tub and up date the plumbing---

Also ask if he works with someone who could take care of the demo--tile work and plaster repair---

If he is a real plumber,he will know a couple of good,fair workers who could finish up the bath--

I like using people with references--and your plumber is where I would start.