Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Share |

Refinishing kitchen cabinets

I want to restain or paint our kitchen cabinets to a darker color. Our cabinets are inexpensive . Any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Refinishing kitchen cabinets-image-526926384.jpg  

Gardec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

This is not an uncommon topic here. If you look on the dark bar across the top of this page you will see a tab for "search". This should lead you to numerous threads.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #3

Those cabints will be veneer, to much sanding and it's trash. You can sand till the cows come home and the wood grain in white oak will still show through.
Dark cabinets will make the whole room gloomer.
Painted cabinets will not hold up as well as the factory finish you have now, and will look like painted cabinets.
If you do decide to go with paint them plan on it taking far more time then you ever throught it would take to do it right.
As you can tell I'm not a big fan. But hay it's your house.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
fdf

I have those exact same cabinets...I don't like them much!! I have a cieling fan with dark cherry or mahogany blades, which I like, so thought about adding another broder of trim inside the trim that's there now on the cabinets, then re staining them the dark cherry/mahogany. Also adding hardware.
I wonder if you can re stain with just a light sanding, maybe use some kind of primer made for stain?
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #5

There is no primer for stain.
Unless it's bare wood there's no place for the stain to soak in and will just wipe off.
There's a reason they call it stain. It's stains the wood.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
fdf (03-17-2012)
Old 03-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
In a little over my head

Yup. the problem is, that in order to stain, you need to get to the wood. That means sanding off the old finish. That's gonna be a lot of work getting into all the molding profiles, without ruining the profiles. There might be a transparent finish that could sit on top of what's already there. I don't know what it is, tho. If I was you, I'd call the MinWax 800 number.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
fdf

Thanks...I pretty much figured, but thought I'd take a shot that maybe there was a way to stain over the original finish...a glaze might work, but I think I'll probably add extra trim to the original trim...I know, sounds carzy, but I have it all figured out...then I'll paint the trim the same color as I have on the bottom part of the kitchen walls...kind of a brick color, goes with the floor & counter tops.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #8

Light sand, prime, two coats of Benjamin Moore Advance (only comes in gloss and satin) and latex urethane on top. Make sure the urethane matches the sheen of the paint u decide on.

If u don't like ur cabinet doors, see if there's a builder surplus in ur area. If so, they might have doors at a good price. Also, since you will b buying in bulk (assume you have 20-25 doors) NEGOTIATE the price!! However, new doors will involve hinges and handles.....
starkhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
fdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkhd View Post
Light sand, prime, two coats of Benjamin Moore Advance (only comes in gloss and satin) and latex urethane on top. Make sure the urethane matches the sheen of the paint u decide on.

If u don't like ur cabinet doors, see if there's a builder surplus in ur area. If so, they might have doors at a good price. Also, since you will b buying in bulk (assume you have 20-25 doors) NEGOTIATE the price!! However, new doors will involve hinges and handles.....

Thanks for the product and advice...got it saved. I live in a very rural area...but if I decided on new doors, we do have places like that about 100 miles away.

before I begin this project, I do have a huge problem in the kitchen that I have to figure out a solution to..I'll be posting photos because it's hard to explain...hint: our house is old and was pieced together from a small two room home to what it is now...nothing is level or plum.

When we moved in here, we farm for a living and live on the farm, we remodled the entire house...90% DIY...the kitchen is a challenge to say the least
Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #10

Have a look at Cabinet Transformations. I'm getting ready to do an old kitchen with it.....no sanding....so, should work for veneer.

Sold at.most big box stores.

Louise
Dalmuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
fdf

I have been thinking about using this product...Home Depot has it. Wish they had a little more color variations...especially for the counter tops...but, I am looking into it.

Thanks!!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #12

Bring out your inner artist!

Get some thin ply sheets cut to the size of the inner panels.
Paint them. Decoupage them. Use the kids art work to cover them.
Or do whatever to them.
Seal with clear varnish. Glue on and Voila!
Instant - and original - make over

Oh and get some new handles
Wandererone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #13

I second the Cabinet Transformations. I had the same looking cabinets, used the Linen color with the glaze, I think they look pretty good. The grain still shows through, but the color is close to what's been told to me is a "pickled" oak. It's not as quick and easy as the website shows, but it's not difficult either. Very time consuming.
Mr. Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #14
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

This is a Kitchen we gave a partial renovation to (left the light oak cabinets and refinished them). The finish is RED MAHOGANY.

1980's country kitchen - to - Modern Kitchen:
Refinished all cabinet exteriors to Red Mahogony.
Added Tile backsplash throughout.
Altered the window valance above the sink (made it straight = modern looking).
Added recessed lighting & undercabinet lighting(brings out colors and brightens dreary kitchens).
Added wainscotting to 54" (up walls) with a pronounced chair rail (See detail profile pic).
Added a garden style window (replaced a set of casements = more Light into Kitchen + place for potted herbs).
Added new stone countertops.
Overlaid the dark wood ceiling beam with drywall & painted ceiling, walls & trimwork.
Added stone top to existing island. Added wainscotting detail to 3 sides of the island (refinished side facing cabinets to match - Also Red Mahogany).
Home Owner added all new Stainless Steel appliances.

Before:

After (not really an after pic, as it there was work going on, including tile and trim under new countertops):

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After (Same kitchen island):
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
fdf

I'd like to thank you guys for the replies...good suggestions, and that renovation turned out great!!
I am artisitic and have a good imagination and have come up with several ways I can go to get the cabinets to look good...wether I use the Transformations product, or the Ben Moore Advance, or add my own mouldings or insert a new panel (regardless of what I do, yes, hardware included)....
the reason I haven't started on this yet is that I have a huge problem to solve concerning the wall/ceiling above one section of cabinets...this house is old, was an original 'homestead' house that was added onto a couple of times back in the 40's and 50's.

A picture speaks a thousand words...so take a look at my huge problem, please...any suggestions as to how I get that slant fixed above the cabinets would be greatly appreciated.
Starting on the left side, that slant goes from 8" top of cabinet to ceiling, to, on the far right, 6" from top of cabinet to ceiling... (the cabinets themselves are level)
HELP!!
Attached Images

Last edited by fdf; 04-05-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: typos