Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #1

Share |

Refinish or paint cabinets?

I have been going back and forth whether to replace, reface, or refinish our kitchen cabinets. The cabinets (pic below) are of low grade (particle board) but are in good shape. My first thought was to buy some new RTA cabinets online..and i found some that we really like (could do entire kitchen (14x10) for about $3000. The other option would be to refinish..We really would like to go for a dark cherry or mocha look, so my question is how would I go about achieving this look with what I have? Would i have to completely remove the finish and start all over (sounds like a lot of work)? or could i sand, clean, and apply a polyshade? I don't mind putting in the labor, but I don't won't them to look subpar.

I also considered the refacing option but priced it out to be around $1500, with still alot of detail work involved (plus staining?).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Attached Thumbnails
Refinish or paint cabinets?-img_20130125_190820.jpg  

markley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #2

Refinish or paint cabinets?

Sorry...just realized that I should have posted this as a reply to my similar thread that I started last week

markley is offline   Reply With Quote