Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Recessed Shampoo/Soap 'dish'

In the near future, my tile guy will be tiling my shower and bathroom floor. I asked him about a soap/shampoo dish and he told me that a one piece manufactured 'dish' is the way to go. I see some on the internet, but am concerned about quality. He mentioned "duck liner"?, but I can't seem to find any info on it using various spellings.

Can anyone recommend a high quality pre-formed recess compartment?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark

rightit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #2

Sounds like he doesn't want to get involved making his own.
Placing a recessed niche and waterproofing it will give you what you want without the leaking down the road.
How is he handling the shower enclosure?

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 26

This company has a good product:

http://www.innoviscorp.com

There are several at: http://www.noblecompany.com/Products....aspx#products

They all must be tiled.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #4

Making your own is always a better option. Make sure your waterproof it with either roll on goods or sheet membranes either way prefab or custom. Custom niches make the difference between good showers and great showers.
OhioHomeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Sounds like he doesn't want to get involved making his own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioHomeDoctor View Post
Making your own is always a better option... Custom niches make the difference between good showers and great showers.
OHD, I agree that a custom niche can take a shower up a notch, but the OP has hired this out and is not doing this themselves.
I wouldn't want someone who doesn't know how or doesn't seem to want to learn experimenting on my shower.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense

OHD, I agree that a custom niche can take a shower up a notch, but the OP has hired this out and is not doing this themselves.
I wouldn't want someone who doesn't know how or doesn't seem to want to learn experimenting on my shower.
I would not let someone who could build a niche build my shower since a shower could be compared to a big niche. Hire a professional, or if you must diy, do enough homework to know the basics and take it slow.
OhioHomeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #7

Thanks to all for the responses. I did finally find some info on the "Duck Liner". Further variations returned the actual spelling of "duk Liner". It's not really a pre-made dish, it's a liner that, like the links Bud Cline provides, requires tiling. Here's a link:

http://www.curtisresources.com/How-to-Install.html

The tiler actually does excellent work and, by all accounts, has a great deal of integrity. However, he has run across Duk Liner only once. He said it seemed a bit flimsy before installation, but after installation was solid.

Apparently, no one here has heard of Duk Liner. Any opinions based on the above link? I'm a bit concerned that it mounts behind the backer board.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Tileguy

The Duk Liner has been around for several years but I have never used one and a long time ago I eliminated them from my thought-patterns simply because I feel there are much better products available, such as the ones I noted above.

The major problem with the Duk Liner is the fact that it does "mount" behind the wallboard. This will in fact cause a slight curve in the wall board. The screws used to mount the unit would only make matters worse but the unit can be mounted without using screws if so desired.

Any of the units must still be sealed and waterproofed at the unit/wallboard junctures. This is easily accomplished using the Noble product as the mounting rim is the same thickness as the wallboard creating a need to waterproof that seam on the surface only and thereby creating a perfect watershed effect.

To have the Duk mounted behind the wallboard creates a need for an additional waterproofing treatment. Anytime a juncture can be eliminated it should be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
rightit (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post

To have the Duk mounted behind the wallboard creates a need for an additional waterproofing treatment. Anytime a juncture can be eliminated it should be.
I completely agree. Between the two links you provided, I like the Noble, as I prefer the fiberglass(?) to the aluminum. I also like that I can frame around it (before BB) and silicone it to the frame (after BB), along with the leading edge. Just seems more watertight.

Thanks again to everyone for all the input.

Last edited by rightit; 09-28-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
I completely agree. Between the two links you provided, I like the Noble, as I prefer the fiberglass(?) to the aluminum. I also like that I can frame around it (before BB) and silicone it to the frame (after BB), along with the leading edge. Just seems more watertight.
HOLD ON!!!

I would take the word "silicone" out of my vocabulary in this case. Silicone sticks to everything but nothing sticks to silicone. You wouldn't want ANY silicone buried inside those walls that was going to shed or resist bonding to your tile adhesives.

The Noble nitches are not Fiberglas. They are styrofoam but none-the-less totally waterproof and they have a coating compatible with tile thinset mortars.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
HOLD ON!!!

I would take the word "silicone" out of my vocabulary in this case. Silicone sticks to everything but nothing sticks to silicone. You wouldn't want ANY silicone buried inside those walls that was going to shed or resist bonding to your tile adhesives.
That makes sense, but the instructions here say to use silicone to adhere the niche to the back studs and between the BB and niche:

http://www.noblecompany.com/Portals/...ns%200109b.pdf

Of course, before commiting myself to anything, I'll run it by the tile man first.

Quote:
The Noble nitches are not Fiberglas. They are styrofoam but none-the-less totally waterproof and they have a coating compatible with tile thinset mortars.
But since you've mentioned that the niches are styrofoam, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I still have another week or so before it needs to be in, so I guess I'll give it some thought.

Thank you again, and anymore advice or corrections are welcome.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
Tileguy

Quote:
That makes sense, but the instructions here say to use silicone to adhere the niche to the back studs and between the BB and niche
No problem inside a wall cavity but I would never close a joint on the surface of the backer-board where I was going to apply tile, I don't care what their recommendations are.

Keep in mind; all companies want to sell their products and you will always find them happy to offer ideas and solutions if it will make a product sound easy to use.

Quote:
But since you've mentioned that the niches are styrofoam, I'm not sure how I feel about that.
The things are costly I think but they also save a guy like me a lot of time and labor and that's what I look at. They are also fool-proof. When you hold one in your hand for the first time and you say to yourself...Damn I just paid eighty bucks for this piece of plastic it will take you back a stride or two. But when it comes time to install it your attitude changes a little. But, keep in mind I did it the old fashion way for decades before those things came on the scene.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

We use several of the Noble ones that Bud mentioned in post #3 above during a recent bathroom remodeling project. They look great and we're very easy to work with and tile installation was very easy, definitely the way to go.

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote