Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #1

Share |

re-use recycle kitchen cabinets?

After I've dealt with the floors in my new house, I'm going to remodel the kitchen. I've attached a picture of it.

Don't know what kind of wood the cabinets are but they seem sturdy enough. I might re-use a couple in the garage/laundry area, for storage. But it seems wrong to throw out perfectly good stuff. So, I thought I could pick up some new cabinets, maybe get some re use from the Habitat for Humanity people, AND recycled glass Caesar stone counter tops and make the whole kitchen a recycled kitchen.

I'm also considering moving the sink to the wall where the refrigerator is now and opening up the window into doors. The patio and firepit/conversation area are just beyond and it seems it would be a good place for a door. The house is on a slab and I've been told the cost of moving those pipes could be more than my entire remodel project. Any ideas?

Has anyone here combined various cabinets, and how would you go about refinishing them to match each other? Is it even possible. Don't really want to paint them.
Attached Thumbnails
re-use recycle kitchen cabinets?-kitchen.jpg  

amh56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #2

If you are going to use used cabs in your kitchen use your own used cabinets that are already in there. At least they all match and fit in the space like they are supposed to. There is not much you can do that is greener then not remodeling your kitchen. If you are using recycled cabinets and it isn't to be green it is to be cheap and not remodeling your kitchen would be the cheapest option. Either way you look at it that seems to be the way to go.

HartKyle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #3

Yes, I plan to keep most of the cabinets that are already in there. I'm going to remodel the layout a bit. Probably bring the cabinets into the dining space (where the camera would be in the picture.) There's a good four feet of unused space there and I want a counter height, eating and drinking and stuff bar there, crossing the entry space. That will require more cabinets. I will also get a double oven and stove top, so I'll need new cabinets there. AND I want to utilize the corners of the kitchen with corner cabinets. If I am able to move the sink, the layout will be more a galley shape.

I can take a door down to the lumber yard and find out what the cabinets are made of. There are a few broken drawers so they need TLC anyway. I can't tell AT ALL what they are. I can strip them but I don't know what I can do after that. They may be a dark icky color permanently.
amh56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You might look into saving the cabinet frames but replacing or refacing cabinet and drawer fronts to match. Tying them together with new hardware will make them look more integrated.

Glass counters are really nice. Vertrazzo is one brand I spec a lot and it is a mix of recycled glass and concrete. You can get just about any color. Solid glass counters scare people but are extremely durable, heat resistant and low maintenance. As hard on knife edges as any hard counter though.

http://www.vetrazzo.com/eng/products/color_palette

Concrete counters, created by an artisan, can be spectacular too and with sinks and things molded right into them.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Bill Kearney

Moving the plumbing is likely to be expensive because the pipes are probably embedded in the concrete slab. There's nothing that prevents you from moving them other than the labor to bust open the slab to remove the old ones and install new ones in the desired location. Plumbing is tricky because there are requirements for how things have to be sloped, vented and the like. Complications can (will?) develop.

You already have the windows to the right in that picture and those would seem a 'less problematic' place to put doors. But without knowing the whole floorplan of the area it's hard to say.

When we demolish our current house I'm having a deconstruction recycler come and pick it apart. They get the materials and a training site for their people, and I get a tax break. I plan on saving the kitchen cabinets myself and re-using them later in my workshop in the new house.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (06-10-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #6

I've remodeled my kitchen and reused my cabs while adding new ones. The key is surface prep of the wood. I've sanded all mine down and stained using the same stain that was on the older cabs. It looks great too!
rebelranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #7

Im in the middle of redoing my whole kitchen. I got older oak cabinets and plan on refinishing them with paint. Wondering if you recomend chemically stripping or sanding them down to get the best adhesion for the primer???
pigmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #8

I use chemical stripper only if there is a poly coat over the stain. If they are just plain oak then don't chemical strip, just sand and paint. *This is only if you are using a darker color then before aka light brown to dark brown or light brown to white.

rebelranger is offline   Reply With Quote