Re-tiling Shower? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Re-tiling Shower?

I've been planning on re-doing our master shower for some time now. I'll probably start it later this summer although the one thing I am very good at is procrastinating. I know I'm going to have a lot of questions and would like to get as many as possible answered before I start tearing things up.

THE PROBLEM:

There are several issues that make me realize it is time to do this. The tiles on the windowsill are loose. The section of wall that the TP holder is on is water damaged (mushy) and the grout is in bad condition. The wall with the plumbing backs into a closet and we have found a bit of mold on the greenboard (yes, greenboard) when doing repairs.

THE PLAN:

My tentative plan is to tear out all of the tiles and greenboard keeping the plumbing and showerpan. I would like to lose the pivot door and just use a shower curtain so I would like to widen the opening and basically move it over to the right, adding about a six inch section of wall on the left side to protect from shower spray, and reducing the right side wall to about 12 inches. Then install 1/2" cement board, mesh tape, a waterproofing layer (probably RedGard) and retile.

THE QUESTIONS:

First, is this a reasonable plan or possible? My first main concern is attaching the wall sections to the shower pan. I don't know how the builder originally did it, and I'm not crazy about the idea of toenailing it in and putting holes in the pan. I'm not sure of the composition of the pan, but it appears to be heavy, solid made fiberglass (circa 1972). Not the new thin stuff. Is this doable and What is the best way to build/attach this? Materials?

I haven't started any demolition of the shower yet but I would bet money two of the walls are greenboard over brick. Once I remove this, what is the best way to attach cement board to brick?

The windowsill also concerns me. Minor exploratory surgery has disclosed the tiles were applied directly to a 2x4 so I'm sure I'll be back with more questions once I get the area opened up, but for starters, how do you waterproof along an aluminum window? Just be religious about keeping the caulk in good condition? Losing the window is not an option and I do plan to add a slant to the tiles.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

You guys (and gals) on this site rock!

Attached Thumbnails
Re-tiling Shower?-p3141268.jpg   Re-tiling Shower?-100_0400.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Blondesense; 03-15-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Re-tiling Shower?

Interesting shower. Attaching the CBU is not much of a problem. Thinset over the brick and tapcon the board on, if it is not brick veneer.
The short walls will be a problem. The pan appears to be fiberglass. About the only thing I can think of would be to attach (with caulk) a wide channel of aluminum from side to side and then somehow build a frame inside that.(kinda mickey mouse at best) That pan is not made to be drilled into or attach anything to it other than the channel of the shower door. The best choice would be another shower door built to fit with glass panels on each side.
I would be surprised if there isn't more damage around the window. It's not really the type that should be used in a shower to begin with.(sounds like I can't talk you into replacing it) CBU around the window as well (on a slant)

Advertisement

Blondesense (03-16-2010)
Old 03-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Re-tiling Shower?

Thanks MIH

Yes, the house is brick, not veneer. All brick exterior walls, inside and out, as well as several interior walls. I half expected to find brick instead of the wood under the window tile since every other window in the house has a brick sill inside and out.
FWIW, the brick wall behind the toilet is the exterior wall and I am assuming (yeah, I know) it extends behind the shower.

Quote:
It's not really the type (window) that should be used in a shower to begin with.(sounds like I can't talk you into replacing it)
Talk me into it or talk me through it? I realize the best solution is to lose the window. However I really want the natural light, and patching (and matching) the brick exterior is way beyond my skill set.

I'd love to replace it, along with a couple of others. If I open it up and find it is framed in wood I'll definitely consider it.

Thanks for your help.

Jill
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote