Re-grout Or Caulk Needed? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Re-grout or caulk needed?

Our shower has developed a number of cracks in the grout. Most of them on outside corners. Question is should the outside and inside corners in the shower be grout or caulk? I assume the corners outside the shower should be grout.
The first two pics are from inside the shower. The second is of the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Re-grout or caulk needed?-image-4142519341.jpg   Re-grout or caulk needed?-image-3695491852.jpg   Re-grout or caulk needed?-image-1968502836.jpg  

Advertisement

asbury park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Any change of plane (inside corners, outside corners, etc.) should be caulked, not grouted. I'd use a grout saw, remove it, and replace it with a matching sanded grout.

You said most of the cracks are on the outside corners. Are any of the cracks on a flat plane, in other words, not on or in corners?

Advertisement

Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

looks to me like the wood in the curb (if its made of wood) might be swelling from soaking up moisture. do you know what kind of waterproofing was used behind the tile? it looks like the tile have separated a little at the crack which makes me think you have water getting behind it.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense
Any change of plane (inside corners, outside corners, etc.) should be caulked, not grouted. I'd use a grout saw, remove it, and replace it with a matching sanded grout.

You said most of the cracks are on the outside corners. Are any of the cracks on a flat plane, in other words, not on or in corners?
Replace it with matching sanded grout or sanded caulk? There are one or two very tiny hairline cracks on a flat plane. That's it.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT
looks to me like the wood in the curb (if its made of wood) might be swelling from soaking up moisture. do you know what kind of waterproofing was used behind the tile? it looks like the tile have separated a little at the crack which makes me think you have water getting behind it.
Not sure what kind of waterproofing is behind it.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbury park View Post
Replace it with matching sanded grout or sanded caulk? There are one or two very tiny hairline cracks on a flat plane. That's it.
Sorry, my bad. Matching sanded caulk.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
Very possible. It is also possible whoever built it used PT wood and it is warping as it dries. At this point, without knowing how it was built or what materials were used it is all a guessing game (unless you have an access panel for the plumbing).

If it was just the corners cracking I would blame the pivot door, replace the grout with caulk and cross my fingers.
But cracks on the flat plane suggest there could be underlying problems concerning how the shower was built or waterproofed. No way to know for sure without tearing the thing apart.

In your shoes, I wouldn't tear it out for two small cracks, but I would take some good clear pics so I could keep an eye out to see if it is getting worse.

In my shower, before I tore the whole thing out, I could feel the bottom two rows of tiles move as if the drywall underneath had turned to mush (which is exactly what had happened).

Advertisement